does anyone of you know this smith?

kusunokimasahige

someone recently offered me a katana in shin-gunto mounting, and according to him the blade was forged between 1846 and 1851 by a smith named minamoto kiyomaro who was born in in 1813 in shinano.

in 1846 he changed his name into minamoto masayuki which is the name on the tang...in 1851 he comitted suicide according to this person.

does anyone on here know this smith at all?

I dont have photos yet, I have requested close up photos of the blade and tang...

any help is welcome!

KM

Minamoto Kiyomaro was a great smith argueably the greatest of the shin shinto period. Kiyomaro was the only toko able to produce so much technical skill in his work.

He produced many famous swords.

There are changes in the way he inscribed his mei from year to year and also changes in the way he made swords from period to period.

The hamon itself changes from ko choji midare with narrow nioguchi to gonome midare with vigarous sunagashi to the varied hamon of gonome which in turn became fairly large, to the o gonome of his twilight years in which the kashira were fairly uniform or umo no ha (horse teeth).

Taken from the "Nihonto Koza.

delagrange

The most expensive Katana sold in a UK salesroom was a kiyomaru blade. If memory serves correctly it sold for more than $450K.

If the vendor knows the smiths history it is reasonable to assume they should also know the blades true value. Therefore if it is not very expensive please be very careful.

The vendor is a re-enactor of WWII 17th armour division and he just let someone else find out about the name, wether or not he knows the true value of the sword i dont know... however i have requested photos, and hope that when he sends them i can post them here...

i am very happy with all the help you are providing at the moment!

domo arigato gozaimasu!

KM

UPDATE:

Hello all, well i got an e mail of him, and he wrote to me that he would take photos and send them. He also told me that he had a letter of the Army Museum here in the Netherlands stating it was this smith(still no guarantee)

so I will keep all of you posted...

I expect the sword is in dire need of a polish.... we'll see..

KM

• 2 weeks later...

Could just be that his camera doesn't have a good macro function. I see this often on close up photos on eBay.

But I agree that the photos given don't show anything at all. You will need much better close up shots to decide anything. Blade and nakago.

Brian

I have the same feeling, that is why i have asked him to take several more photographs, and i might even visit the guy to do it myself before buying.. but he is very very slow....

anyway since he is a re-enactor whose group I know, i feel this is a personal lack rather than the fast pull thingie...

but you never know of course...

KM

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, Well he finally sent me some photos. not all great quality, but well he is not that experienced in taking digital photos and computering, i have seen some of his re-enactment photos so....

ill start with the Mei: (the earlier one i posted was rotated in windows, see below for original pic)

*EDIT*

lplg2006029-1.jpg

*end EDIT*

The tip:

lplg2006041.jpg

lplg2006032.jpg

lplg2006033.jpg

The blade: (which will definetely need a new polish)

lplg2006040.jpg

lplg2006039.jpg

lplg2006038.jpg

lplg2006031.jpg

lplg2006030.jpg

I know these are not the best blade photos, not as refined as Darcy's..

However I do hope that your trained eyes can make something of it, of course the Mei, but maybe also the blade...

it apparently has been in a War situation since its a vet bringback...

best wishes,

Kusunokimasahige

right to me...i split the screen and hand yours next to the page i posted...not very encouraging and the out of polish does not show us much ...id say if he wants a arm and a leg i'd pass, the price of a good gunto it may be worth getting into it. Dont go by my assessment ask others what they think.

Domou arigatou gozaimasu!!!!!!!

if its a hell ya! i might get it then, and take a lot of MUCH BETTER pics myself...

any opinions of others of course still welcome!

KM

PS might the characters be read differently perhaps? kun-yomi / on-yomi or even classical Japanese?

thats also a question which intrigues me....

sorry I forgot to post the original pic of the mei... the one i first posted was a rotated one done in windows... may have had data loss due to rotating it...this is the original one.... as it was sent to me.

PS: where do you see the file marks? I sure dont see any....

lplg2006029-1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..