This is my favourite piece.

Wow, I love the variation of items so far, beautiful pieces and the images are nice and clear so we can really appreciate them... thanks to everyone who participated so far. Remember it doesn't have to be the most expensive item in your collection, but the item that's closest to your heart. I let my fav piece go a little while back during the expansionary phase of my business, when capital was most needed... definitely some regrets there. Was a pristine & flawless Ko Enju katana in all original Higo handachi style Koshirae, has a slightly over-exaggerated amount of gold inlay but it was superb.

The second runner up after it would have to be this baby, All matching hollylock Mon (solid gold menuki) with some nice Shakudo fittings. The Tameshi blade that its paired up with is also nice but the fittings are what do it for me in this set, and I'm more of a blade guy. FYI its not for sale :lol:

That set is in a league of its own. Does it have any history behind it or did you put it together? One day in future my aim is to own a blade and koshire that go together so well like that even if it is the only sword that I own :)

One of my favorite tsuba

I had very little interest in tsuba until you posted that. It is magnificent. I wish that there were prices attached to some of these posts so I could learn more about what to pay for top of the line stuff. I feel rude asking though :P

Trent S

I see that collecting is alive and well. Some very nice items. Love the pic you took yourself Daniel of the Ota Chikahide hamon...that is my favourite type.

the Mantetsu cleaned up nicely I must say....og course all those non-gendai treasures are great also. I liked the comment that a member would be satisfied to have one "perfect" sword...we all aim for that.

I for one have the common problem...I like all of mine :D

Top pic...what I used to like (no. 3 is 3rd Echizen Yasutsugu and no. 4 is Ishido Mitsuhira)

Bottom pic...what I like now...all except no. 1 are gendaito ....a particular favourite is no.6 is Nagao Kunishiro of Aomori (but it is dirty).

Keep up the good work,

post-787-14196925437252_thumb.jpg

post-787-14196925447006_thumb.jpg

This is an excellent thread and showing off some beautiful pieces, well done to all so far, hope more is to come,

here's my 2 bobs worth, my apologies for the photo quality, but you will get the idea

a tanto signed fukuyama han sukeyoshi

post-738-14196925657834_thumb.jpg

with its koshirae

post-738-14196925658369_thumb.jpg

a wakizashi papered to 2nd genation magaroku kanemoto

post-738-14196925659991_thumb.jpg

this is the original kanemoto 2nd gen koshirae including wooden menuki on tsuka as found

post-738-14196925660568_thumb.jpg

a katana papered to 1st generation kanemoto

post-738-14196925661482_thumb.jpg

hope you like them

regards

John

Hi Joe,

the list is:

2. is an unknown by Seisui of Tokyo (but made at Southern Nagano) 1944.

3. is Yamagami Munetoshi 1943 of Niigata (RJT smith).

4. is same again 1944 with star.

5. is a real favourite, Okishiba Yoshisada of Osaka , no date, (see pics).

6. is great but dirty...Nagao Kunishiro of Aomori 1944 star.

7. is unknown, Shigekuni no date. has officers name and Regt. attached.

8. is Nakata Kanehide 1944 star.

hope this helps,

edit...opps sorry, can't add pics at the moment.

Point is, some of my blades are unknowns, but I bought them because I like the work. That's the main thing, I please myself in my collecting.

Regards,

Some excellent examples of Nihonto, Tsuba, Armor and other Japanese artifacts. Too bad I personally will never have the money to own such outstanding workmanship just out of my limited finances. Ah well at least I get to drool.

Jeffrey, learning can be inexpensive or even free (by reading what is on this forum), when the time comes were you can afford something nice you will not make the same mistakes many others have made.

Great thread.

I have Juyo Token swords, but this Tokubetsu Hozon daito is my favorite.

Here is mine: Osafune Hidemitsu. In Japanese Swords of the Bizen Tradition, by Darcy Brockbank.http://www.nihonto.ca/bizen-to/

hidemitsu_zpsb55b3023.jpg

Jean, there you go showing the Tametsugu. :Drool:

A good looking sword Jon. Even though I am a non Bizen enthusiast I confess to being inceasingly drawn to Osafune work. There is always a lot to see and enjoy.

You also make an excellent point. A favourite sword needs to be based on the sword not the cost or the level of papers

I said in an earlier post I dont have a favourite sword. However amongst those that would be in the running is an unassuming O-suriage blade with Tokubetsu Hozon papers to Enju. I bought this originally from Japan, subsequently (and reluctantly) trade it in for a purchase that would fulfill a 30 year ambition. As soon as I could I bought it back from the dealer. So it is not only beautiful it now also qualifies for a frequent flyer gold card.

To quote a well respected dealer who saw it at the Florida show while it was on vacation over there:

"It is really a stunning blade. Normally Enju are paled by Rai Kunimitsu, this one not so. Were the boshi different, I am sure that it would be attributed to Kunimitsu."

As can be seen by the oshigata below the boshi is O-Maru which is regarded as a typical indicator of Enju and differentiates it from Rai.

It is by no means the highest value blade that I have held in my collection nor the highest papered. What it is is a stunningly beautiful piece of work that still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I look at it.

post-16-14196926061309_thumb.jpg

post-16-14196926108249_thumb.jpg

Some excellent examples of Nihonto, Tsuba, Armor and other Japanese artifacts. Too bad I personally will never have the money to own such outstanding workmanship just out of my limited finances. Ah well at least I get to drool.

Jeffrey, learning can be inexpensive or even free (by reading what is on this forum), when the time comes were you can afford something nice you will not make the same mistakes many others have made.

Eric this isn't my first rodeo. Although I am far from being a so called expert or even very knowledgeable. I know enough and have enough support from books and experts to make good choices. Well at least most of the time. Though anybody can be involved in the study and purchase of Nihonto and its accessories the high end high quality items are reserved for people with deep pockets.It's pretty hard ( though not impossible ) for example to find Juyo swords that are worth 30-60K+ for &K or less. I'm not complaining nor begruding anyone. I'm just making the observation that is not a cheap hobby to pursue especially with limited resources..

This is tough - I've gotten a lot more brutal over the years about De-accessioning pieces from my collection that I don't/no longer really like - Maybe somebody should start a "top ten" thread instead :-)

That said, I guess I'd have to go with this one as my "favorite" - in hand it really talks to me - it seems like even the kozuka ana helps in giving it that "used and loved" feel:

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/k ... _front.jpg

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/k ... i_back.jpg

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/k ... i_arty.jpg

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

I'll show you two tsuba (but actually it's not possible to decide...).

The first one I like, because it was one of my first "better" purchases in the beginning.

Now I have also some nice Kinko pieces which were much more expensive but I like the rustic plate and the golden Kikusui motif - it's a personally preference and has nothing to do with any artistic value...

And the other one my girlfriend convinced me to buy - due to the little gazing guy.

So I think it's her favourite piece.

post-420-14196926432885_thumb.jpg

post-420-1419692643504_thumb.jpg

"And the other one my girlfriend convinced me to buy"

Your a lucky man Andi

Usually she don't find out how much I spend for this hobby - otherwise: :shame:

And I think she has better taste :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Brian

That might be true ;) .

(...I have some more animal tsuba - which I like all - but nothing else similar to the Kikusui piece my small collection - that's why it has a special position...)

Looking through this thread again and some nice stuff here. For swords, I especially like Jeans Tametsugu, both Nobukuni's, Jon's Hidemitsu and Nick's Ko-enju. Tsuba, Richards Ko-Shoami, Thierry's Bushu Masatoyo.

Brian, Hard not to like pole arms. Look like they mean business. I have a Ko-uda Naginata and Shikakke Naginata Naoshi. Sold a Katana length Ko-Naminohira Naginata Naoshi (sigh of regret).

One of my favorite swords: Yasutsugu Shodai

post-11-1419692676017_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..