This is my favourite piece.

Hey guys, I thought I could start a thread about members favourite pieces. It could be valuable to all of us while at the same time help us understand each others tastes. The idea would be to post your absolute favourite item in your collection, now I'm sure some of you have several pieces so I'd ask to think real hard which one tops them all. I invite all members to post at least one clear image of the item, it could be a blade, Koshirae, fitting (even a single menuki), yoroi, any component that makes up a yoroi, tanegashima, or anything else related. To make it more personal if you could tell us why, even if it's the story behind how you came about acquiring the item. Don't be intimidated by other posters level of items, we come from all walks of life and ones collection is what they make it, not the dollar value it carries.

So hopefully it works out and we all get to enjoy each other's eye candy and maybe a few good stories.

Hi Nick, my nihonto budget limits me to the title of "enthusiast", rather than that of "collector", so now i will only buy a sword if it jumps out and says "buy me". My favourite sword is my mumei/suriage Nobukuni wakizashi. The papers place it to late Nanbokucho period. If the NBTHK cant decide which smith made it, than i sure as hell cant either (Read similar quotes that amused me on the net). I think thats part of the reason i find it interesting, im looking into it at the moment. The sword, i just find interesting, its age, the horimono, and the fact the blade is packed with activities. The sword is a little worn maybe, but i think its great :), il forgive due to old age.

post-4404-14196924665384_thumb.jpg

post-4404-1419692466838_thumb.jpg

post-4404-14196924672243_thumb.jpg

post-4404-14196925004647_thumb.jpg

This will be an awesome thread.

I guess for me it is my Kuninobu tachi. What makes it special for me is the fact that it was my first tachi and that I was able to buy a Nambokucho tachi within Finland. :) I still remember the feeling as I held it in my hand first time. Of course it has got it's flaws but it is great for me.

GHt5Bc.jpg

EvuIss.jpg

Wow, I love the variation of items so far, beautiful pieces and the images are nice and clear so we can really appreciate them... thanks to everyone who participated so far. Remember it doesn't have to be the most expensive item in your collection, but the item that's closest to your heart. I let my fav piece go a little while back during the expansionary phase of my business, when capital was most needed... definitely some regrets there. Was a pristine & flawless Ko Enju katana in all original Higo handachi style Koshirae, has a slightly over-exaggerated amount of gold inlay but it was superb.

The second runner up after it would have to be this baby, All matching hollylock Mon (solid gold menuki) with some nice Shakudo fittings. The Tameshi blade that its paired up with is also nice but the fittings are what do it for me in this set, and I'm more of a blade guy. FYI its not for sale :lol:

post-4289-14196924861949_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196924867509_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196924873454_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196924880333_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196924930107_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196924940197_thumb.jpg

Sorry I cant add anything regarding my own favourite. I am afraid I am too easily influenced and I tend to find my favourite is the one I am looking at at the time :(

Recently I had the chance to study a number of swords dating from the Kamakura period all the way through to late Edo. All of them were more than beautiful they were masterpieces of the craft.

What is interesting is the examples shown here also span the major part of sword making history and I would welcome any of them in to a collection.

It shows how meaningless it is to dismiss swords simply because they are not in a certain period. Good swords were made in all periods and it is worth keeping a very open mind (thats a note to myself BTW) and enjoy a sword for what it is rather than when it was made.

Good swords were made in all periods and it is worth keeping a very open mind (thats a note to myself BTW) and enjoy a sword for what it is rather than when it was made.

Oh, definitely. Though mentally find myself drawn most to c. 1350-1425 works with having head turned by some Shinto Hizen and Yasutsugu, must say there was a shinshinto Satsuma Motohira a few years ago that had me at 'Hello'. Confess my knowledge of Shinshinto is very weak. Business was struggling a bit at the time and cash was scarce, so it wouldn't go home with me. Had to be content burning it into memory. It sold shortly thereafter and I hope the owner enjoys it. Have looked at many Motohira since and often been impressed, but none that grabbed me like that one. A nice nidai Yasutsugu utsushi of an older work went off a Japanese website the other month. Would have been nice to own that one for a few years.

Of the pieces in my limited collection, I would have to say that this Koa Isshin Mantetsu is my favorite. It was such an utter mess when I found it buried in a corner at an antique shop in NY (and paid $100 USD for it). Now it looks wonderful and I revel the fact that it was saved from the scrap heap to be enjoyed by future generations.

Kurt K

post-4708-14196925020355_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196925041193_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some excellent examples, here is something that is really unique, it is a completely matching suit of Japanese mail (kusari) armor, it also appears to be in mint, unused condition. As far as I know this is the most complete armor of its type currently known. Two unusual features are the kusari hakama (mail pants) and the hybrid three panel kusazuri/haidate (thigh armor) which is attached to the kusari katabira (mail jacket) by kohaze (toggles). Add a pair of kusari tabi and you would literally be covered from head to toe on mail, quite the defense against even the sharpest sword.

129f58f4df26a62d06a55c0aae6db718.jpg

1c09f29beaf80e0c87c25d262062ca0e.jpg

Sometimes it is not the value or quality of an object that makes it a favourite

This is my bad boy

10nunf5.jpg

I started collecting tsuba in April 2012 and while nosing around the internet came across the NMB site. I wasn’t very busy at the time and read hundreds of posts, even as far back to the time that some images were corrupted. I couple of months later I plucked up enough courage to post my first tsuba. It was posted in June 2012, the post went to five pages with 60 replies and 2825 views. After what felt like a multiple mental beating I was feeling shell shocked. Was I an idiot, is this tsuba so bad it was an embarrassment? Should I stop collecting and in the classic words ‘never darken the door of the NMB again’. After a bit of encouragement from Brian I re-evaluated the replies and these are a couple of my favourites from my first post:

Poor Kanshiro is probably turning in his grave now.

How on earth can you attribute this doodle to Nishigaki?, that's embarrassing.

I love you Tosogu guys

I was thinking till now that disputes among members were reserved to Nihonto

Now such tsuba form/pattern has an Higo flavour (whatever it is: Juyo, junk, cast, Meiji - BTW, did I forget something?)

A later reply said not to forget 'Chinese'

It’s what this tsuba has led to that was life changing

My collection numbers over 150 tsuba. These are my learning tsuba, from these I will reduce to around 50. This will give me a nucleus so I can strive for constant improvement to my collection.

I’ve been working with a local museum and with help I will endeavour to publish a book.

I have conversed with NMB members from all over the world and their help and expertise has been faultless.

I have been offered the chance to make my own tsuba.

Had a personal introduction to Robert Haynes who I’ve spoken to on many occasions.

There more but I have to end somewere

I would have liked to add a picture of Brian as a ‘favourite’ but maybe this isn’t allowed.

Grev UK

• Like 2

Of the pieces in my limited collection, I would have to say that this Koa Isshin Mantetsu is my favorite. It was such an utter mess when I found it buried in a corner at an antique shop in NY (and paid $100 USD for it). Now it looks wonderful and I revel the fact that it was saved from the scrap heap to be enjoyed by future generations.

Kurt K

I was shocked to see Mantetsu blades selling in Japan for $7000-$10,000US!!!!

Kurt K

I was shocked to see Mantetsu blades selling in Japan for $7000-$10,000US!!!!

out of curiosity....

Is that because of any artistic value or just popularity amongst collectors from the more *cough* "nostalgic" sections of Japanese society?

(sorry about the :offtopic: )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..