How many swords can i take to japan?

lonely panet

Hi guys,

Im planning a trip to Japan in the near future, and I'm going to take some blades with me for restoration.

I have read that 3 is the max, but a friend of mine seems to think that they will allow up to 5? can anyone confirm this.

short of contacting AOI art , I thought I would ask fellow board members first.

Also there is a small sword shop just around the corner from AOI art in Tokyo, but I don't know the name of it. can anyone help too please..

regards H

I've done it twice and you can take a maximum of three swords.

As you mention Aoi, I assume you're taking them there. Best to get some documentation from them stating that you are taking the swords to them for restoration, preferably in Japanese or bilingual. Both times for me, the police official could not speak much English and my Japanese is non existent, so the documentation helps a lot.

NBTHK museum is just round the corner from Aoi, and I know the little shop you mean, but its name escapes me.

Gidday Hamfish,

yes 3 is the limit, and its also very good idea to get dual English-Japanese language letter from Aoi-Art ( or wherever ) explaining to the airport people what swords you are bringing in and for why, ( appraisal, polish etc ) you will need to apply at the airport for a temporary sword licence to take them in on arrival and take them out again on departure from Japan, you need to declare them on your arrival card, don't know where you are leaving from, but when I am leaving from Australia, I take an oshigata to customs, get them to stamp and sign on departure, this saves a lot of hassle on the return, just present their own paperwork for the swords when you get home.

John

It is indeed Hataya san's shop that is literally around the corner from Aoi Art.

Sometimes he is not there so you should make an appointment if you want to visit. I like him a lot. The people in Aoi's shop are friendly and nice too. It's a bit crowded, so don't wear a backpack :)

Hi guys,

thank you very much for confirming this for me, I have a O suraige Hizen Wak im thinking of taking over to get Tsuruta San to confirm for me.

also im looking at going to some markets too, does anyone know the dates for the sunday market held at the Yasakuni shine car park, are just any cool markets I can visit??

thanks again

regards H

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..