Udenuki-no-ana, two holes near edge of tsuba

Bugyotsuji

1 hour ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Do you have that book? It looks good. Is it worth buying, in your opinion?

It's a popular book, so it's not a strict verification. It is easy to understand because there are many illustrations.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/絵でみる時代考証百科〈日本刀・火縄銃・忍び道具編〉-1983年-名和-弓雄/dp/B000J79SM0/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&language=en_US&qid=1601108434&s=books&sr=1-7&text=名和弓雄

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lovely examples, Richard. I remember this from our discussion last year on the previous page. The nice Suaka Mt Fuji could add to the ongoing discussion on punched versus drilled holes.

I guess the answer might even be 'whatever gives a cleaner finish, with the tools at hand'.

15 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Lovely examples, Richard. I remember this from our discussion last year on the previous page. The nice Suaka Mt Fuji could add to the ongoing discussion on punched versus drilled holes.

I guess the answer might even be 'whatever gives a cleaner finish, with the tools at hand'.

Piers,

Oops, my bad - I usually do a cursory check of these er, eterna-threads, but didn't on this one before posting :-/

Yeah, the etched piece is definitely an example where they were added deliberately :-)

rkg

• 8 months later...

Today at the Osafuné NBTHK joint meeting with Hyōgo and Okayama, some Satsuma Koshiraé were produced on a side table. The owner was explaining some of the typical features, such as small Tsuba with small holes at the side, 元結の孔 “motoyui no ana”. The same word motoyui used for tying the top knot of a Sumo wrestler.

He explained that the twist of paper holding the Tsuba to the kurikata actually contained a wire, i.e. that the wire was covered by the paper Koyori twist. 

I took some photos of these very businesslike sword scabbards, which I will post in the morning, but in the meantime, to stay on topic…

546F83D4-1B89-4364-8E6F-077F543EF929.thumb.jpeg.c095a6343550e1f380d42c80f73715fc.jpeg

85EF6AE5-5C71-467F-B9B7-39D478C10078.thumb.jpeg.fa35e22b37c7f8d4660ec62b370cae45.jpeg

• Like 5

Just sticking to the facts, as he explained them. The photos below should illustrate his points. (Apologies for taking this thread off-piste for a moment.)

The blades often look longer than the scabbard, he said, and it seems a miracle that the blades do not stick out at the end. Iron was often used for fittings there.

The Kurikata tends to be tall and chunky, and the Satsuma kaeritsuno is a strange little affair. (I told him that some foresights on Japanese Tanegashima matchlocks have a similar design, with a sort of 'hanging' lead up to the main block.) I thought that one of these Kurikata was made of amber, but apparently they often used 'Seiyo Suigyu', or imported light-colored water buffalo horn.

One of the handles was wrapped in 'Sanada' himo, the flat braided cord that is often used for tying boxes. He proudly pointed out the 手垢 Te-aka, and asked me how that would be said in English. "Hmmm..." I hesitated, "palm grease/dirt/grime, perhaps?" He nodded happily. To me it looked as if the original cords had worn through and the owner had used whatever was at hand for some ongoing battle. The menuki were black oars, (reminiscent of Musashi's fight against Sasaki Kojiro, I wondered?).

The other Koshirae had a long iron sayajiri (ishizuki) fixed with byo rivets.

(He also has a large collection of tsuba, some of which I recognized from my books; he was invited to give us an overview of Japanese tsuba by area and type late last year.)

D4B1876D-A220-4691-A026-EA1206DB2F43.thumb.jpeg.47ee329383a639b2dcef5c43e7869d52.jpeg

58179535-D598-4587-A48A-F968E28A45F4.thumb.jpeg.bc98738ecc5f0110d4b11acea7ea5a4c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So, in doing research for my post on “Tsuba casting molds” I came across some interesting information regarding the two holes in the tsuba.  I found this information in the “Transactions and Proceedings of The Japan Society, London, Volume III, the third and fourh sessions, 1893-5.”

On page 95 at the top, it states:

“In some tsubas we find two circular holes, often lined with gold or some other metal.  These are called “kinuki” tsubas, the holes being for the passage of a cord, tying the tsuba to the scabbard.  They were used it is said by old men whose age and military service exempted them from having to draw the sword, either for public or private purposes.  I have tsubas on which is a small stud pierced with a fine hole, as if to pass a wire through it, the use of which I cannot learn”

Thought that this is another interesting view of why the holes were there.

With respect,

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, Dan, interesting food for thought. I've had a quick look around for きぬき (kinuki) but could not find anything immediately. I suspect it has something to do with the word nuku (draw out), perhaps even 気を抜く (ki wo nuku?)  to 'take away the desire to'... but it may be something totally different, like 絹抜き, kinu nuki, (silk passing).

腕貫 ude-nuki (as in the title of this thread) is written with the second kanji 貫 , so your word kinuki could well be referring to the same hole(s). Just wish we had the original Kanji for it.

If you run a Gxxxxx search on Tsuba Ude-nuki, you get the following wealth of information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=鍔+腕貫&ei=v378YY3BGoqSr7wPx4SdwAg&ved=0ahUKEwjNnJKo8OT1AhUKyYsBHUdCB4gQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=鍔+腕貫&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BQghEKABOgUIABCABDoLCAAQgAQQBBAKECU6CAgAEAgQBBAeOgIIAEoFCDwSATZKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQ-RhY3rUBYM7BAWgGcAJ4AYABygqIAa0nkgEOMS4xNC4xLjAuMS43LTKYAQCgAQHIAQrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Colin. What are the dimensions?

Quite interesting to see the fluidity of those holes, almost 'natural' appearances compared with the artificial nature of most of the others we see. (I have something to add, but it'll have to be tomorrow! )

…And tomorrow it is, today!

Iron, tsubo sukashi, Myōchin Munetomo, 8.8 x 8.3 cm.

(Sasama in his book of armourers lists two Myōchin Munetomo, one in Takamatsu and one in Himeji. The Himeji one signed both 宗友 and 宗知, he says.)

IMG_1863.thumb.jpeg.04ae75438aaa8d9543cb1cea1c60a7ab.jpeg

• Like 1

Apart from the Myochin Munetomo signatures, there do seem to be several other similarities, e.g. texture, size, Mei placement, but whether these are enough to indicate the same armourer, or are simply coincidence is a good question! :thumbsup:

The udenuki holes are very different, as is the style of writing and left-right balance to the four characters, and of course the different last kanji '-tomo'.

Does yours have any paperwork, Colin?