Netsuke

seppuku

Hi Josh, my pm box is full. Good luck in your hunt. As you know there are millions and millions of wanna-be Netsuke being churned out today, many artificially aged to trap the beginning collector. Some collectors do not like the word 'genuine' since all Netsuke are 'genuine', even the 'faked' ones, but let us avoid that argument for now.

Where are you based?

The safest way is to contact a dealer with a discerning eye, who already has a reputation to uphold. Then you will discover that there are dealers to suit every pocket.

Spend some time browsing the International Netsuke Society's forum looking at recommended dealers here:

http://netsuke.websitetoolbox.com/

My experience has been mostly in the UK and I can think of two or three I would especially recommend, but on a budget you might want to have a look at Andy's site here for reasonably-priced, 'genuine' Netsuke:

http://www.antiquenetsuke.co.uk/

Above all, take your time. Never hurry around Netsuke unless there are two or three of you locked onto the same target and a quick move is vital!!! :lol:

Happy hunting!

Dear Josh,

The collecting of Netsuke is at best a honey trap for flies. Piers is being diplomatic when he refers to all miniatures with the ability to have a cord attached either by pre-constructed holes ( himotoshi ) or by a natural part of the sculpture such as an arm ... netsuke. Collectible netsuke are those that were actually used or intended to be used to attach a pill box, purse, tobacco ensemble or some other hanging thing ( sagemono ) from the waist belt ( obi ) of the Japanese Kimono. Although there are a few modern carvers who turn out spectacular works of art meant for this purpose but because of their value not normally worn, ... I suppose we could call these netsuke. What should NEVER, ... but is being today called netsuke are the thousands upon thousands of Chinese carvings which although could be used as netsuke are at best referred to as fakes and at worse trash. The type of " netsuke " being offered on eBay are primarily of this variety.

Secondly when you enter the field of Netsuke Collecting you are going to meet many wonderful people but even more people whom are Elitist, Rich Snobs, whose only serious interest in the subject is to out do one another with their display of wealth. Most ... unlike the Nihonto collectors have really no interest in Japanese History nor Culture.

If after all that you still wish to pursue the collecting of them, then take Piers's. advice and stick to reputable dealers Oh, one other thing, ... if you live in the USA forget about IVORY netsuke. Under the Obama Administration the import, export or even interstate trade in Ivory is for all intents for now at least illegal. In fact no matter where you live, ... check with your government for restrictions on importing ivory.

Some of the above is the writer's personal opinions, ... but as you will find out for yourself for the most part accurate. I am not known for being a diplomat :D . Attached are a few of my favorite netsuke ( author's collection ). Please excuse the poor photograph I had on file.

... Ron Watson

post-1782-14196919821617_thumb.jpg

Secondly when you enter the field of Netsuke Collecting you are going to meet many wonderful people but even people more whom are Elitist, Rich Snobs, whose only serious interest in the subject is to out do one another wittheir display of wealth. Most ... unlike the Nihonto collectors have really no interest in Japanese History nor Culture.
Unfortunately this is so very, very true ... :cry: ... and especially the INS is full of them ...

Thank you for the fast replies, and advice. I do not think i will be buying modern netsuke do to the fack they want way to much money for their work 2 k for a peice without it surviving the test of time, also way out of my rang. Im located in the U.S. and im very wary of buying the tourist peice, but my eyes are still not trained for quality.

Thank you for the advice

Archived