recent acquisitions....

cabowen

I recently returned from a rather distant jaunt to purchase a katana and wakizashi that are really interesting so I thought I would share them with the membership...

The daito is in late Edo koshirae that has a shibuichi kojiri/fuchi-gashira ensuite by Toshimasa. The tsuba is also later but unsigned. It is all of very nice quality. The blade is a go-ji mei Tadayoshi. At first blush, it looks like his work-beautiful tight jigane with a shallow notare/suguba with hotsure. Gold foil habaki. I would appreciate the opinions of others...Based on the photos, Roger Robertshaw thought it had better than a 50-50 chance, so I rolled the dice...Once I had it in hand, the workmanship seems spot on...I will be sending it to Japan for shinsa and polish. Fingers crossed.

The wakizashi has shakudo fuchi-gashira, unsigned, with an octopus and wave motif. The wari-kogai and kozuka are in iron. The tsuba is iron sukashi and signed Akasaka Tadanori. It is also quite nice. The blade is signed Kozuke no Kami Yoshikuni. Silver, two piece habaki. He was a student of Osaka Tamba no Kami Yoshimichi and the blade is textbook Osaka Shinto. It is really gorgeous with an exuberant o-choji-midare. I will be sending this one over as well.

I will post some photos in the next few successive posts...Hope you all find these as interesting as I have...enjoy...

post-1462-141969183483_thumb.jpgpost-1462-14196918350922_thumb.jpg

Very nice Chris albeit a "rather distant jaunt" from Tokyo gendaito too.

;-)

HAHAHAHA - Joe, a very good quip!! Chris, a very nice result of a long trip (I guess) and thanks so much for sharing. Inspires me to put up one of my better finds and the almost unbelievable story that goes with it. Promises, promises, but I'll do my best soon. It concerns a katana signed (KIKU) ECHIZEN no KAMI MINAMOTO RAI NOBUYOSHI and its late Edo handachi koshirae.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

Wow, I cannot see anything that would directly speak against the Tadayoshi being Shoshin... there are some aspects in the mei that are not the most typical but still seem to be within the documented variations. Let's hope for the best ( in spite of myself being guilty of the deadly sin #6 :Drool: )

Veli

Thanks for the comments...Yes, the Tadayoshi mei has a bit of variation from the few I could find for reference, but those I did find had some variation as well....The workmanship is consistent and that is what is giving me hope....

Again, thanks.

Akasaka Tadanori tsuba bonus too, though it needs some TLC.

Without reaching for the books: student of Tadashige or of the Tadashige line. Might have been more than 1 generation.

Thanks...Seems there is an identical (?) one on the Tetsugendo site....

Thanks for the comments...Yes, the Tadayoshi mei has a bit of variation from the few I could find for reference, but those I did find had some variation as well....The workmanship is consistent and that is what is giving me hope....

Again, thanks.

Seems good to me.

He has a lot of variety in his signatures.

I think the nice koshirae is also a vote that it was something respectable held by someone who could afford it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..