"Bushi no Dandyism" @ Hayashibara Art Museum summer 2014

Commemorating the 50th Anniverary of the Museum's founding they have built up a display featuring a recently discovered document that sheds new light on the Hon-no-Ji incident (when Oda Nobunaga was done in by Akechi Mitsuhide).

武士のダンデイズム special exhibit runs from 19 July (this Saturday) until 15 September.

Swords, fittings, armor/armour, guns, etc., ultimate fashion accessories decorating the lives of the Bushi. Includes seven sets of armor/armour belonging to the Ikeda Lords.

(Helping with the set-up tomorrow. We will be bringing in some of the armour sets and big guns. Not sure if I will be allowed to photograph any of the stuff but will attempt to get sneak shots if they give the green light.)

Let me add my name to the list who would be interested in seeing this exhibit.

In fact, it sounds like this show addresses a broad array of topics including political intrigue, economic excess, and armor development. Momoyama era Daimyo had plenty of dough so they could trick themselves out pretty well. I think it is fair to link their efforts to "bushi-do". These guys were warriors who were laying it on the line - or at least letting their armies do real battle.

A couple of centuries later, during the mid to late Edo era, lots of samurai affected another round of real dandyism. These guys were samurai but it seems wrong to link their manner of foppish excess to bushido. These guys were more like drug store cowboys. One of the flavors of that later dandyism was "Rampiki" of "Dutch Craze". I my view, that is the fad that gave us the MASS of the common Namban fittings we see today.

Peter

Spent five hours at the museum today helping them set up the display, much of it suits of armour and big guns that we had been asked to bring along. I asked very politely what their general policy on photographs was, but I must have got the wrong curator on the wrong day. There was a distinct sharpness in his voice as he said it was absolutely forbidden, and I got the message in his eye that I should not try to take any sneak footage.

(Henk-Jan, I visited the tombstone of Kusunoki Masashige on Sunday.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..