Advice on sword

Ah, you had the answer already... Please note that the blade has a Seki stamp above the Mei, meaning that it is Japanese and genuine, from around WWII time, but not traditionally made, i.e. not a Nihonto.

Veli

Thanks for the replies ,

It is advertised as ' Noshu Seki ju Kojima Yoshimasa '

The blade has been sanded , and has some pitting , nicks and scratches.

Is it polite to discuss price ? maybe someone can pm me and let me know if it is worth $250

Regards,

Craig

Craig,

Your question is a loaded question, though I am sure that is not your intention. Personally, I would not pay $1 for this sword because it has no potential and any amount I pay for it would be money down the drain. Another person might say, hey, it's 70 years old and must be worth $250/$xxx for being a historical artifact. Dunno...it's a very personal decision.

Regards,

Hoanh

I do not think it is Yoshimasa. I read it as Katsumasa.

If the blade would be in a decent Gunto koshirae, $250 would not be too much (for the koshirae), but based on what I see in the pics, I would advice you to find something better...

Veli

Many thanks for the replies,

I'll make an offer on it, not for any collectable or historical value - but for Tameshigiri practise , rather than use a cheap modern cutter. It will give me a chance to try and restore the blade to a standard where at least it can be useful for my training. And the good swords can stay on the shelf :)

Regards,

Craig

Craig,

using this for tameshigiri? Good luck. What if the blade has a crack (you probably won't be able to see it in its current condition)? You hit and ... bang ouch!

Sorry, couldn't help it...

I may not have as much experience as others, but I would bet good money that this blade is just a slightly better fake. The habaki is all wrong, as is the mei and nakago. Even the seki stamp looks crudely done. If someone can prove otherwise, I would like the chance to learn.---Scott M.

The habaki is field or home-made. But I am pretty sure the sword is a low class Showato. The lines are straight, the mei is correct, and the seki stamp is ok, but looking odd due to corrosion around it. Yasurime are also ok. No matter though, it is strictly militaria now.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..