A hand on this one please

Chriso

:oops: I must admit that I don't have a very good track record when it comes to my selection of Tsuba, anyway, I was given the attached piece a number of years ago where I relegated it to the bottom draw of my collection of "Things".

Before i send it on its way I would like to show it on the forum and ask for any comment.

One of the things that i was not impressed with was the permanently fixed Habaki, and the fact that I was originally told that the tsuba was bronze?

Chris O :oops:

post-790-14196916005001_thumb.jpg

post-790-14196916011166_thumb.jpg

Chris O

Actually, I think this might be a nice tsuab. I am assumiong that it is iron, right. It looks, however, like the habaki was jammed in there by what I would have called a "Cowboy" until I saw you address. I assume it was a nice old two piece habaki that a non-Japanese decided to ram into the hitsu. In Nebraska, pieces with modifications like this are described as having been "Cowboy'd". I suppose that they are called "Digger'd" in Aus.

If a magnet sticks to the guard, and it was mine, I'd just remove the habaki remnant. It is scrap copper, but the tsuba might be okay.

Peter

Chers Peter,

The tsuba is definitely soft metal, but although I still don't know much about it, I intend to file it, and not dispose of it. Perhaps one day i may be able to find out a bit more about it.

Many thanks for your comments.

Chris o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris o,

that does look strange and would agree with Peter about removing it. There may also be room for some kanji beneath the folded over jacket portion. You might also see a better representation of the base metal once the habaki is gone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..