Easy cocking modification on Aoi Art

Hi All.

If you are reading this then you have probably already noted the matchlock pistol on Aoi Art with the an extension on the hibasami to make cocking the pistol easier.

Not something I have come across before. http://www.aoijapan.com/hinawa-ju-matchlock-gunarquebus

Now go on, tell me that you have all got one of those!

All the best.

Dear Geraint,

I am not sure I'd want to own ... " one of those ". It would be my guess that this is an amateurish " put together " pistol.

1. We have a western style flat screw holding the serpentine ( hibasami ) which obviously goes right thru the stock and threads into a brass chrysanthemum plate ( za-gane ). If the gun is genuine this would mean the Japanese gunsmiths were using fine threaded screws which they were not prior to the Meiji era.

2. The barrel appears to be much older ( badly pitted all around ) than the stock ( which is also of unusual taper and shape ). The hole at the Bizen ( breach plug ) is from corrosion caused by the acids in the black powder residue eating thru the iron barrel.

3. The barrel has no ama-ooi ( barrel protector ) ... nor does it ever appear to have had one on THIS PISTOL ... again too difficult for an amateur gun

maker ?

4. The pan itself has no cavity ( hollow ) to hold the priming powder ?? Indication that the pan may have been cut off horizontally at some point ?? I just do not know, ... but not normal.

5. If you look closely at the breach of the barrel .... I am almost positive ( in fact I am positive ) ... that the barrel has at sometime been cut ( shortened ) ... and about 1/2 inch of barrel ( breach section ) has been added to the barrel. Notice how the flats on the two sections of barrel do not quite line up and in addition the difference in colour between the two sections of barrel.

6. The barrel has no fewer than two holes drilled into it to hold the barrel to the stock. Normally we should see a small half moon shaped tit on the bottom side of the barrel for the pin ( mekugi ) which is the pin hole used for securing the barrel to the stock. Instead here we see a hole drilled thru the barrel proper to act as an ana ( unheard of ). In addition if you notice we also have a hole drilled directly upwards into the barrel to obviously accommodate yet another screw for which there is another brass chrysanthemum plate on the bottom of the stock ... again unheard of.

7. The hole ( ana ) on the bottom of the stock and its accompanying pin ( mekugi ) are going to block any insertion of the necessary ramrod ( karuka ) to a few inches ... far shorter than that necessary for loading the gun.

8. The thumb extension on the serpentine sorry hibasami ( a further little thread to follow on the over-use of Japanese nomenclature ) when discussing Tanegashima ... is simply a post matchlock era ( generally ) ... of a European designed lever for opening the breach of cartridge guns.

In short I would have to agree with the proprietor of Seryudo Co. Ltd. .... it is a rare pistol ( probably one of a kind ) ;) ... which I would not care to own nor would I recommend to any of you.

... Ron Watson

Ron, I would add that the pan cover, a bit of brass sheet with a bent up tab, is totally wrong. I might suggest this has been cobbled up from a bust Sakai stock which often have the little bird cut-outs under the stock.

Ian Bottomley

RON:

You never cease to amaze me on these firearms and would suggest you turn this knowledge into print or a book of some type - this sort of information does not come easily or in a short time period to many.

Amazing :bowdown: :bowdown:

BB

Ron,

Well, the consensus seems to be that you are right on this gun, but I feel the need to say that I think you're a real buzz killer. I was just pretty sure that this was a Samurai quick draw rig that some ronin with a black hat carried to quite the streets a "Raredo."

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..