My new Sword

Hello ,I just joined the forum and would like to hear opinions on a sword I recently purchased.

The story on this was that it was an airforce pilots sword . It has a leather covered saya but the Koshrie is not Gunto.

The blade is 23 and 3/8" so it is a short katana or wakiziki .

Japaneseswords124_zpsb39b3b00.jpg

Japaneseswords125_zps8acb0a2e.jpg

Japaneseswords094_zps976c8a35.jpg

Japaneseswords074_zps53ab85a6.jpg

Japaneseswords083_zps079a5ec5.jpg

Japaneseswords003_zps2e5542a3.jpg

Thank you,

Gary

Gary,

Steve is right, this is a nice looking rig. I'll be if you get a couple of easily available books you will read this signature and find it is quite collectible. The important characters are the last two. The ones above that say "Fujiwara." I would NOT recommend submitting it to shinsa til you've done more research.

Peter

Signed Fujiwara Tomoyuki. Edo-period Bungo smith. Probably a long, Shinto wakizashi. If you search the forum you will find some threads on Tomoyuki and maybe a couple of other collectors interested in his swords. There were a couple generations of Tomoyuki.

Looks like the blade is in good condition. Keep it in good condition by taking care of it per some of the recommendations laid out by Grey Doffin in the FAQ/Articles sections.

Peter ,what books would you recomend that I read to learn more about my sword ?

I have read,

The Craft of the Japanese Sword by Leon and Hiroko Kap.

IAI The Art of Drawing the Sword by Darrel Craig

Volumes 1 and 2 of Samurai Swordsmanship by Dale S Kirby

Thanks

Gary

Dear Gary,

For beginners, ... it is an oldie but goodie : The Samurai Sword by John M. Yumoto. I also recommend : Fact and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords as translated by Paul Martin. Another : The Japanese Sword by Kanzan Sato. I should imagine that Grey Doffin will probably have most in stock. His site address : http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com

... Ron Watson

Gary,

The woods are full folks who will offer help. It seems to have already started for you!

My advice is to find some people who share your interest. Contact them. Meet with them. Look at their swords. Show them you swords. Be nice, moderately trusting, and competely honest. Do not sell your sword. It is truly collectible, but it will also provide the basis for chatting with others. I would NOT be in a hurry to buy anything BTW. There are lots of swords. be patient - unntil you come across a Sendai Shinto by Kunikane. Those you should sell to me, cheap!

In answer to your question, that line you showed on the mune (back ridge) of your sword is NOT the hamon turn back. It is a conventional line the polisher put there. Good eye, tho.

The Tomoyuki line was a group of like a half dozen generations or smiths who made swords in Bungo province in the 16 and early 1700s. They were well respected. You have a real samurai sword there!

There are LOTS of books and you have already been given solid advice. Reading John Yumoto won't hurt you a bit. I also think it is worth going to your local library and getting Robinson's Arts of the Japanese Sword - or even his older Primer. He has a very handy chart of the characters you will need to learn. It may seem daunting, but they are arranged in order of stroke count. That chart is really handy!!

I hope to see you at one or another of the sword shows. You are off to a good start.

Peter

The stuff inside the tsuka cover is - I'd bet the officer's name. The pistol collectors seem to kknow how to trace these, but that is outside the sword collectors understanding. This name might be some like Kataoka Hideo.

I know what you paid for that insight, so I know what it is worth!

Peter

Thank you eveyone for the encouragment ! I will read more, I looked up Grey Doffin but was OVERwhelmed by the number of books and the prices !

I can not afford to spend alot of money without knowing that there will be some snippet.....anyway of Kanbun era late 1600's, Takada ,Bungo and/or something on the Fujiwara Tomiuki . If I understand ? The Takda ,Bungo,Kanbun era swords were plain artisticly ,but sometimes sought out for their cutting ablilities ?

I have been told that Fujiwara is a family name AND a title. Also that Tomiuki was the founder of the Bungo school ,but back in Koto times. Then also that there were many variations on Yuki some as prefix and some suffix .

Can someone tell me about the word Cyujosaki means as I was informed that that was also a title ?

I will follow the suggestions given and pick out a book or two to study for now.

Gary

Can someone tell me about the word Cyujosaki means as I was informed that that was also a title ?

Chu-jo saku means he was ranked as above average. In other words, a bit better than the norm. Jo-Jo saku means far above average.

Chu means medium, and jo means superior..so elevated medium quality smith if that makes sense.

Brian

I do intend on leaving it as is. I did not have the handle wrapped ,no clue who or when ?

WWII is of great interest to me and Japanese swords as well. This sword combines them nicley. I will add an NCO sword and/or an Officers sword folded and hand forged, soonish.......?

I don't want to collect many swords , just some nice ones that interest me.

Gary

I had the marking on the inside of the tsuka's leather protective cover translated .

It is; Kata oka Hide mitsu

Would that be the name of the pilot of the cover maker . I realize this is outside the norm of sword collecting ,but I wouldn't have any idea of were else to ask .

Gary

I would first suggest "The Sword of Japan" by J.W. Bott, published last year. I just recently purchased it and am half way through it and wish it was available when I first got interested in Nihonto ! THE really good research book in English is "The Connoisours (please excuse spelling) Guide to Japanese Swords" by Nagayama. MR. Bott's book explains so much that you NEED to learn along the way AND it's affordable as it's also available in soft cover. Nice sword !! John

Hi Gary,

Welcome. I love Bungo Tomoyuki swords. I have had quite a few, and still do.

Yours, to me, looks like a late Shinto period, long, Wakizashi. Or perhaps early Shin-Shinto.

Your sword looks very nice. Do you have any full length pics?

Congats, on your new sword.

Mark G

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..