Kanetada kane who?

Ron STL

Apologies for the poor photo sent to me for translation. This sword looks pretty "new" from I can tell, and may be something made by two smiths, the first being KANETADA and the other KANE? Or...the last part is actually saying something else. Only four Kanetada listed in Hawley from c.1492, 1818, 1955 and 1960. Just trying to identify the maker for the owner while satisfying my own curiosity about the full reading. Thanks!

Ron STL

post-2327-141969142622_thumb.jpg

I have a bad feeling about this one… were there any other photos (awful or not)? Something about this seems very off to me. The shinogi-ji seems too wide, the nakago seems to have no patina, and the characters are sloppy. Plus two Kane__ in a row is weird. Maybe it is just the poor photo though, makes it hard to properly judge. But I would not be surprised if this was a Chinese fake.

Thanks guys, I had this possible concern myself when seeing the photo of the sword. The one I posted was a negative image which seemed to show the kanji clearer, but I'll post the positive image here for what it's worth. Still a fuzzy excuse for a photo! The nakago also appears brand spanking new. I didn't notice that the mei was carved right down the shinogi, but that certainly points to fakeroo work! I never saw a dual smith mei that was written like this (without more of a statement). If my friend has put money on this...uh..."sword"...guess he needs to learn more about swords. I'll wait and see if anyone else cares to comment on this and then pass on the (what looks like) bad news. Thanks for the additional "eyes" looking at this. Looks like the last Kane--- will not make much difference if it's understood or not. Thanks

Ron STL

post-2327-14196914386224_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I'm amazed at the findings here. The mei centered down the shinogi seemed absolutely not what one would expect on a Japanese swords. I just checked my nidai Tadatsuna and sure enough, the mei is carved right down the shinogi! I've had this Tadatsuna for quite a few years and have shared it with others; nobody ever commented on the placement of the mei. Fifty years and counting...and still learning fresh information.

Ron STL :bowdown:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..