An ebay blade I was following.

I would have bid on this if my financial situation were different, but I think this is the most I've ever seen an out of polish nihonto sell for on ebay. Looked like it would be spectacular fixed up. Worth a look.

Check out this item I found on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 58&alt=web

Cheers,

relatively rare shape, active, bright hamon with what looks like possible utsuri. forging, what can be seen, looks good. Older blade....not at all surprised at the auction result as it has real potential to be something nice.

Thanks for the answers, it helped me to apply the points to the images provided. My enquiry came from me seeing a $7000.00+ purchase, restoration and polish opportunity, but not being able to come to terms, with it being a worthwhile project.

Being obviously wrong is part of the learning curve.

Thanks all.

I was the underbidder on this blade. The winning bidder has zero feedback and may turn out not to complete the sale (I hope). So there is still a chance I may get it and be able to "save" it. Not sure if it is Nambokucho or early Muromachi, but I love the shape of it. Cheers, B

This is a nice looking, even interesting, blade, but - you know - $4k got lots of interesting, safer bets at the recent Chicago sword show. At the show (or Tampa or Frisco) you LOOK at them, right there (!), and ask for help. Is eBay the place to take these likes of risks?

Peter

I was there Peter, at the Chicago show, and agree there were some nice blades. I have plenty of shinogi tsukuri blades though, and none like this. I agree with the opinion of early Muromachi and am leaning toward the suggestion of Kashu Yukimitsu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..