Tanegashima / Teppo / Hinawaju ... Japanese Matchlock Guns

Dear All,

As of June 21st, 2014, ... the NMB now has a new section unto itself : Tanegashima / Teppo / Hinawaju ... Discussion on Japanese Matchlocks and early firearms. Brian is currently working to filter out previous threads on the subject from the various sections previously used by members posting questions, describing their firearms, and in some cases the historical use/background and moving them to this new section ... a huge task. To quote Brian and I most certainly concur with him : " I think that already we have more English info on these guns here than any published book. Should be a great resource. "

Those of us interested in this subject are most fortunate to have this new section added, and I would hope that as many members as possible join in the discussions or start a thread of your own. Just because you may be a novice to this Japanese/Samurai Art form does not mean you should be backward in participating. We have some very learned people here as members such as Piers Dowding, Ian Bottomley, Justin Grant ( whom is getting very good ) and others. If I have left anyone out without specifically naming you ... it was not my intention.

I do know for a fact that because of the free giving/sharing of knowledge of these gentlemen, that they have spurned an interest by the number of people who now read and/or contribute to our collective knowledge of the Tanegashima.

On a personal note, ... I am thrilled with this new section and I am quite confident that those surfing the Internet for information will eventually end up here and hopefully become members. Again I will quote Brian ( Site Administrator ) : " I think what we also need now is a picture thread, where everyone can upload pics of their own guns. A picture library of sorts. " PLEASE if you own a Japanese Matchlock or Antique Japanese Firearm ( not WW1 or WW11 please ) .... Take this opportunity to photograph your gun and post.

... Ron Watson

Ron, there are more Japanese firearms related images in these links than any were else in the world.

Japanese matchlocks and accessories http://www.pinterest.com/worldantiques/ ... rai-era-t/

Touch hole cannon http://www.pinterest.com/worldantiques/ ... le-cannon/

Western style firearms http://www.pinterest.com/worldantiques/ ... y-samurai/

0e77b8df2599921a2ef7f8576ba031f3.jpg

Yes, many thanks for the links Eric. For me your late Edo early Meiji page was especially rich and rewarding. I have a collector friend who specializes in that area, but for me it has always been an adjunct, a treacherous crossover period as Japan pulled out of feudalism into the modern world, for better or for wusser.

Ron, Brian, many thanks for the proposed spring cleaning. For several years I too put quite a lot of time and effort (nay, heart and soul) into this site, but in a rather serendipitous and unstructured way, and the thought of someone going in there and retrieving such bits, if such a thing is indeed possible, fills me with admiration. :bowdown:

The idea of putting it all into one clear resource section, though, feels truly good. :clap:

PS Ron very modestly omitted to include himself in the names of consultable experts who inhabit this site. His eagle eye comes with my highest recommendation.

Ron, being a humble collector of these interesting guns and the associated paraphernalia , I welcome this new section on the NMB. Any place where I have a chance to feed my insatiable appetite for knowledge is just great.

Running with the likes of you and Piers is also very motivating. I hope I can contribute in my own small way.

Jan

Thanks for your kind words, Ron!

Well, I try to keep my teppo-collection to a few pieces of somewhat higher quality.

I´m actually waiting for a little beauty that should arrive in about two weeks time. Haven´t been adding to my teppo-collection for a while now. So I´m rather excited :D

I will be back...

Jan

Oops, yes definitely Jan, and his mad friend Anthony get a big thumbs-up. They have enough Tanegashima weaponry between them to defend Sweden against ISIL/ISIS. With any luck we would love to hold a teppo summit there one day. And Eric should be in the list there too, and Brian, who has firmly joined the ranks of the unprejudiced! :rotfl:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..