Any help for ura side of tanto would be appreciated

The omote is signed "Yukihira saku" which is 99.9 gimei. Unless it is a long lost Hosho smith who is unrecorded. However I think these kanji may have been original. I can not decipher them at all. Any help would be appreciated. I added a photo of the blade for those who wished to see the overall blade.

Thanks for your time,

Tony Martin

post-4437-14196911880568_thumb.jpg

post-4437-1419691188432_thumb.jpg

post-4437-14196911888097_thumb.jpg

post-4437-14196911890011_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony,

I used to own this blade and don't believe it was made by the famous Bungo Yukihira so probably isn't a gimei of him. My own research led me to think it was either one of the Naminohira smiths from Satsuma who worked in the Yamato tradition and signed Yukihira or else a Yamato smith. There were several smiths who used the Yukihira name even into the 1800's, so consider one of them rather than Bungo Yukihira. As for the ura, I showed it to a couple other collectors who are fluent in Japanese and the only character they could make out was the one legible kanji which means city. I'd also like to know what the omote side says. Good luck,

Showed this to my respected sword teacher here in Japan and he says the characters are reminiscent of gobbledy-gook

characters he has seen inserted by people over on the mainland.

Piers,

they look like there were cut on the nakago a long time ago... Not questioning your sword teacher, of course :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..