interesting mei

raiden

put us out of our pain, some of us only have so long dont ya know~

ok, ok...but only because I care :D and you won't get this sort of detail anywhere else either, no matter how many Japanese texts are translated. ;)

The initial technique used is called keshi-zogan. The mei is chiselled as usual but the cavities thus produced are then filled with an mercury/gold amalgam. The mercury is driven off by means of heating and the process repeated until the cavities are completely filled. The surface is burnished to compress the gold infill and then polished smooth using fine stones, and charcoal. The clever bit is the next step. The silver, or shibuichi, ground is then lightly etched to leave the gold ever so slightly raised. This also explains that curious texture on the ground, it reflects the internal structure of the metal.

Standard keshi-zogan can be generally distinguished from regular wire inlay by examining the ends of lines. With wire the end is relatively square whereas with keshi-zogan it tapers out as the chisel lifts out of the line. It is possible to create a squarish end with a chisel so you need to sometimes look for other clues like tiny pockets in the gold which you'd not see if it were wire. Keshi-zogan can only be carried out on non-ferrous metals and alloys.

Hi Ford:

I am looking forward to reading that and other gems in the book series that you are working on. Now that the funding pressure is off it is great to see that you have some time to share with us on messageboard." Nice when a plan comes together."

Hi Dr John

of course you're correct. :) The left hand vertical stroke of the 1st generation master goes below the horisontal stroke while the son's does not. Now I'm spurred on to get my library in order :oops:

Here's the link to the lengthy discussion we had about the two;

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11103&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=funada+ikkin

As far as I know, and have been told, this mei is very rare being done in zogan. I have never seen one before, and I have bought alot of Ikkin in the past years. Very interesting and well done mei. I will take pics later, been busy with a big project and taking care of my son.

BTY I hope Im not crossing any lines, but we just put up a very nice tenryushi masataka with akikusui hamon and nmb members can get a special discount

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..