Found a new tanto :D

Just bought this tanto off a WW2 vets son. It was handed in with a few others to police by someone important after the war and he took them back to the US with him in a big box. That was all the information the son had because he had no interest in swords or WW2. When I saw it I said it take it for 2k which blew his mind. Gamble on my part but you only live once and he wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it.

I'd love to know what the horimono says as well as your thoughts on the mei. It is obviously very very old and was part of an important persons family collection.

Thanks

T Spencer

post-4825-14196909416009_thumb.jpg

post-4825-14196909438739_thumb.jpg

post-4825-14196909452213_thumb.jpg

post-4825-14196909467264_thumb.jpg

post-4825-14196909529543_thumb.jpg

post-4825-14196909541251_thumb.jpg

It is a good point though. Gimei is always assumed in these cases. Even if there were a number of other smiths signing that way.

I can't really answer why. Probably because of the odds I guess. Far more gimei than works by these other smiths?

I would live to know how many nijimei swords have papers to some other Masamune. That might be telling indeed.

Brian

How come it is assumed to be gimei? I understand that there were a few smiths with that name, or were they all smiths signing someone else name?

T Spencer

I think its because that smith is considered the Holy Grail. And no one really expects to find the grail, its collectively considered that it can't happen.

For a war relic this bears a very good polish. Did it come in a shirasaya?

Regards,

Martin

Well its polish is what I would call average in hand. Due to its age the horimono has been worn down a bit through polishing. The shirasaya is very old and the most well made one I have ever seen. Id say the shirasaya is valuable in its own right. It was obviously never taken into combat but was handed into a police station in Japan at the end of the war with a few other swords. That info is from the vets son that acquired it. The others are already sold/traded away and I don't think he was even thinking about selling this one as it was one he considered very important. It has a large complex hamon that would show better if it was in better polish but is very hard to capture on my limited camera.

T Spencer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..