Muramasa gimei?

Greger

Hi guys,

for some time ago I bought a wakizashi signed Muramasa from an auction house in Sweden. I´ve my worries about it being a gimei, and I would appreciate your opinion on the matter. I´ve had some help from Jimi-san at http://www.tanto.dk, who also have his doubts...

One option is to send it to Japan for a shinsa, but I don´t want to waste more money in vain! The auction house I bought it from had a picture of a torokushu, which means that it has been in Japan recently, but is still without origami/ certification papers. Jimi-san also pointed out the small tear on the kissaki (circled in one of the pictures) as a potential kizu. However, the tear doesn't seem to be visible on the other side of the kissaki. This is also one fact holding me back from applying it for shinsa.

I´ve only attached some pictures here, but the rest you will find here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113175810135573506896/albums/5989978287607936273?authkey=CIGVjqTJ1K67HA

I hope your opinion can help me making a wise decision! Other observations and ideas about my blade are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

//Greger

post-4488-14196908574193_thumb.jpg

post-4488-14196908624154_thumb.jpg

post-4488-14196908637055_thumb.jpg

post-4488-14196908645292_thumb.jpg

Appears to have the age, and the correct nakago shape. A lot look artificially done.

I think it has a shot. Pity about the over polishing and loss of the machi. But it might be worth the gamble.

Then again, there is the side that says a tanto that has a chance, that was already in Japan....would not have been exported without trying shinsa there first. So that is also a valid point. 50/50 gamble from the brief look I had without checking the additional pics. Does the hamon match both sides?

Nakago has a few odd things going on with yasurime and those little bead-like dots. :dunno:

Brian

Greger,

A few fact about Sengo Muramasa:

http://www.sho-shin.com/TOKAI2.htm

Torokusho is always meaningless, it transcribes what is written on the blade. It does not say true or false mei.

good indicators are the hada and the boshi (jizo) do they fit the smith forging characteristics?

Compare the price you paid with a certified Muramasa wakizashi value.

Add this to Brian comments.

Hi again,

thanks for your input. Doesn't look all hopeless, but I think I will do a deep study on the Sho-Shin examples Jean linked. Except for the nakago, my blade looks a lot like the Sho-Shin wakazashi by Sengo Masashige (son in law), but this weekend I will hit the books!

Brian, the hamon is not uniform on both sides, but similar (see attached scan). The loss of machi, how do you see that there was one from the beginning?

The welded on nakago theory sounds bad. How often does blades with this phenomenon come by?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

//Greger

post-4488-14196908728157_thumb.jpg

Chris, in your experience is it normally more noticable from the faces of the nakago, or do you see a over-lap kind of joint on the nakago mune? Anyone else, feel free to give input as well.

I imagine it can be hard to be 100% sure in a case that's been done with some care.

It's more or less case by case. Some are clearer from the side, some from the top. They can indeed be hard to spot if very skillfully done. Most are pretty obvious once you have seen a few and know what to look for...There have been a few threads on this site in the last few months with fairly clear examples.

Greger, could you maybe share where you live? As you bought it from Swedish auction house and had some help from Jimi, I'm suspecting you live in Nordic countries, probably Denmark? :)

There are many knowledgeable collectors in Sweden & Denmark, they could probably tell you a lot when they have the blade in hand and offer more opinions on it. That's why I personally like when people include their location, it makes pointing towards help easier. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..