So I Felt Artistic

I was feeling creative the last couple of nights and decided I wanted to try and draw (with a pencil) the activity around the cutting edge of my out of polish sword. I know I am no Rembrandt but I thought I would give it a shot. Trying to define what I was seeing proved more difficult then I thought. I took great care in trying to capture exactly what I saw, and attempted to do so to scale. I ran out out of space on the paper about 2" - 3" from the guard, having started from with the basic out line and starting with the tip. I noticed that the temper edge swoops back towards the blade on the boshi, although it is faint(er) then the temper edge on the rest of the nagasa. I cant really make out much detail on the flat side due to the old polish and everything appeared to be very faint disjointed straight lines of which I did not include in the drawing. I found the exercise of drawing the activity very fulfilling. My drawing is incomplete but I thought I would share it anyways. If you guys have swords and some enjoyment in drawing I encourage you to draw your sword....its tons of fun...

Nathan M.

post-5035-14196908393271_thumb.jpg

Nathan,

All I can say is WOW! I have two left hands and gave up on drawing long, long ago. You, on the other hand, are great. Keep up the nice oshigata.

Regards,

Hoanh

Hoanh,

Thanks for the kind words. :) A little encouragement goes a long way. I wish I could see my sword in a full polish. (it would make it at lot easier.)

Cheers,

Nathan

No better way to study a sword than to make an oshigata....

Mr. Bowen,

I can certainly agree with that. Drawing the sword forces the eye to observe properties that are not immediately apparent. I still believe I have will have to do several of each side before I will truly be happy with the product. The temper edge activity does play tricks with the eye and the brain, I had to walk away for the paper a couple of times, and each time I returned I found what I believe was a mistake and/ or a feature I missed the first go around. You know one hump was too long, one hump was brighter and sharper then the others, a couple have a break in the shadow that lies above it. All kinds of things I can't profess to know the words for. I will work on the shadow of the temper in the next couple of days.

Nathan

Nathan,

Very nicely done!

Adamn...I think you have almost volunteered to do a Samurai themed drawing for the raffle next year :)

Very good!

Brian

Thanks Brian. I still have to finish side and then work on the other side. I might do some traditional looking sectionals like I have seen online. I also believe Adam is your man, for the raffle, I mean holy smokes! That guy has some serious skills. Now he has to draw a sword for the board.

Nathan

Nate,

I've collected Nihon-to for a long time but I've never been able to draw an Oshigata so well. Looks like a professional job. Beautiful Hamon.

Echizento, thanks bud. I said it before and I will say it again, a little encouragement goes a long a way. I really appreciate the kind compliments. Just remember on this board, the mods ask that each and every post must have a signature. (I literally have had to edit every post I have made.) :bang: I went into the profile section an just made one, this is the easiest avenue to remember to do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..