unique tanto shape, interesting kiku mon tang

Hello all!

I recently acquired this piece from someone who thought this blade might have been altered on the tip, but I presume it was originaly made this way, even though I never seen such a kind myself. The kissaki constrution seems to be purposly made and well done, even though if it was broken they would have altered it back to its original shape and the inner core would have shown and a lot of lose layers if it was not made originaly this way, at least this is what I think.

The tang is untouched with 16 kiku flower and signed Yasuhiro, I guess it is around mid 17th century.

Some says the kiku mon means made from foreign iron, or the symbol of the imperial court and bear significant importance and could have been used only by permission.

Can anyone tell me which is the true case with the kiku mon?

I am hoping it is a rare and interesting piece with nice mei.

regards

Peter G.

post-2466-14196907232096_thumb.jpg

post-2466-14196907243873_thumb.jpg

post-2466-14196907246971_thumb.jpg

post-2466-14196907256176_thumb.jpg

Fairly certain it is indeed a broken wakizashi or katana, reshaped to save the hamon. Called satsuma suriage. See this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18777

Some smiths were given the right to use the mon, others made it part of their mei. In this case, I think is is a bit crudely and deeply done, and I suspect gimei.

Brian

Hello Peter,

Yasuhiro with this kanji for "Yasu" + Chrisantemum could only be Bitchu no Kami Tachibana Yasuhiro from Osaka Ishido school (see Markus Sesko's book.)

BUT: the writing style is clearly different in the Shinto Taikan (more rounded strokes) AND the tip of the nakago is a more flat one. Plus there are no nijimei mentioned in Markus Sesko's book.

So might be gimei.

The use of Chrisantemum is an honor, limited to swordsmiths who were allowed to use it by permission.

I bet the blade is a satsuma-age, cut down from the tip. Why do you think a properly forged blade will show "loose layers" in the body when cut and properly filed?

Greetings

Andreas

Have you noticed the curvature is unlikely from a broken wakizashi?

It is curved nicely for the full length, if it was a broken part of the blade it would look awkvard, also the edge line is not like a broken piece, the kissaki from above widens out like normal blades, the mune side of the kissaki has no flaws, open layers or any trace, sign it is close to the inner core, also if they would have reshaped the blade they would follow the normal kissaki shape, not the reserve.

I was told by someone it could be a hunting tanto?

It realy does not look like a clumsy shortened katana or wakiashi, are you sure it it a damaged junk piece?

regards

Peter G.

Hello Peter,

how do the curvature of the broken blade look like? Please take any picture of a short wakizashi (~45cm) and cut off the tip by photoshop ;-)

Don't you think a swordsmith /polisher would be able to correct the shape of the ha a little bit by filing away the edge near the (now) tip? Otherwise the new very tip of the edge would easily break of again.

Are you sure of the widening at the kissaki from above? Isn't it just the same width the shinogi shows more below the blade? Sorry, but the angle of the photo do not show the tip from the front, so I really can't see it.

Again: why should a blade show open layers around the core? The core do not "rattle" within the kawagane ;-)

To "see" the core, you may have to etch the surface on the "front" of the tip.

BTW: not a "junk piece" but a rescued blade, "recycled" in the best meaning ;-)

Greetings

Andreas

I think it's a reshaped wakizashi .

If it was done intentionally I presume the Hamon in the boshi would turn back on itself like normal swords and not end like a kitchen knife so to speak.

Understand how the poster feels about inner core showing through as I thought it might do too.

At least it saved it from the scrap bin and makes it a talking point

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..