Why do you think this got papered?

Mantis dude

Hi all,

Found this active auction and for obvious reasons I was very interested in it. What is that reason, can't remember has something to do with theme...oh yeah it is a tsuba with mantis. I found the piece unique and hadn't seen something like it and was excited about it until I saw the head of the mantis. It must be a male and the female ate it. The inlay of the head is gone. In all seriousness, it has papers- I would think that condition would have prevented this piece from being papered to Shoami? or do you think it was papered just for its "historical value"? Curious what people think about this piece?

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... w101760548

Thanks.

Ken

Hi Ken ,

If you look at the photograph of the papers , there is possibly a little more of the head still showing - they are old papers - but the placement of the mantis does not seem great , unless this was the desired long term effect ( probably something profound )...

Regards

I thought condition was a factor in papering but perhaps I am thinking more of swords than fittings? I do agree it is weird placement for the inlay. I can understand inlay of plants, etc but the main subject matter is normally handled differently. Mounted, I could see that's were a thumb could often rest. Probably it was intended for the mantis to be staring up at the wearer? Perhaps a reminder to remain tenacious and not back down or it could be read the opposite as a reminder to know their limitations and humble him. Maybe the samurai had an ego problem.

Yes, Ken, that would be a factor, but, as with swords wear and subsequent flaws caused by wear must be taken into account. It would prevent papers of greater accord being issued unless of course the rarity factor comes into play. The tsuba in question has some loss and would likely never get an higher paper as well as the Shoami call and it being of lower import. Many tsuba have ornament wrapping onto or over the mimi, but, this does seem awkward. John

Wonder if the Mantis isn't peaking over the edge to see what that crescent shaped silver inlay (which I can't tell what it is supposed to be) is on the back side of the tsuba? Most unfortunate the Mantis head is worn away. Someone like Ford or Brian Tschernega could probably replace the missing inlay, the question then is cost?

That is most likely a crescent moon. It is consistent with the autumn theme that a mantis represents. A crescent moon relates to the circle of life and I have found it used in other mantis themed tsuba.

Remember that female mantis will eat the male after/during copulation so while you can't tell, he is smiling.

As the paperwork says, Mantis under the Moon: 月下蟷螂

On the subject of missing mantis heads, I remembered a badly rusted wakizashi tsuba of mine that has a missing head. Well, it might be buried in the rust, but I do not dare take off any more. I am guessing this is Kaga-style zogan. (Not wishing to disturb the thread, the auction, or whatever, but just for reference.) :)

post-601-141969068351_thumb.jpg

post-601-1419690684511_thumb.jpg

Hi Piers,

I didn't read the papers so do I still get credit for the moon answer? I don't believe your tsuba is kaga. I have seen this style before, I think it might be Kyoto or something like that, my mind is a mess today. I will try and get a better answer for you. Once I found some examples I will hopefully more to say about your piece.

Ken

Piers,

I knew I saw a similar one, here is a tsuba from a Rei Sales Catalog. It attributes it to Kyo kinko work. The inlay on your and other similar tsuba aren't very deep, and almost seem like it is painted on sometimes. Hope this helps you a bit.

another example

post-26-14196906895073_thumb.jpg

post-26-14196906884469_thumb.jpg

I agree the front is a mantis, I just figured I'd mention it. From a condition standpoint I would imagine a grasshopper with a long head is better news than an insect missing it's head.

(even if it is a mantis :))

Regards,

Lance

I wade in to this discussion naively and - probably - unwisely -but, . . . This image appears to me to be OVERLAY" (ie nunome) not INLAY. There also seem to my naive eyes traces of the head remaining on the edge of the guard. This looks like what might have been considered "normal wear."

Peter

Ken, many thanks for the fascinating links. Quite an eye-opener. I like the way the writer says that although it is probably Kyo Kinko gold and silver Hira zogan, Kaga also used the same technique, suggesting to him/her that there was interplay/interlap between the two groups. I also agree that the creature on the back could be one of those weird long small-headed grasshoppers that you find in Japan. (ショウリョウバッタ Shoryo Batta)

As Peter has quite properly restored the thread to the original discussion, I will now back out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..