For your pleasure and amusement

kissakai

As I haven't posted any images for a while so these are a small random sample of the museum tsuba

I welcome any comments, schools, quality etc but mainly for your interest

Before I stated what I thought weres good tsuba but got shot down a few times (thats life)

1)

2rzwejb.jpg

2)

2yoemh4.jpg

3)

5wj7kz.jpg

4)

2w586lt.jpg

5)

2cet2rd.jpg

6)

2h3r7yw.jpg

7)

33b3e3m.jpg

8)

5amg4l.jpg

9)

dqirf8.jpg

Grev UK

Regarding Tsuba #7, there is a very similar one for sale on Tsuba-no-bi.com, attributing it to Late Akasaka.

http://tsuba-no-bi.com/tsuba/detail/T00087/52/

I enjoyed the first Tsuba, and I assume it portraits a constellation? Big Dipper or Little Dipper perhaps, which would make the rightmost star the North Star, which seems to have a special significance in the design?

That last star in the first tsuba....has a tail.

Almost looks like they were depicting a comet? I wonder if that is possible?

They certainly didn't intend it to look like an exclamation point.

Brian

Here is a depiction of the "Little Dipper" on the nakago of a ken. Another local collector has a wonderful tsuba that shows this constellation. Interesting to find this used on swords and fittings.

Ron STL

post-2327-14196906526445_thumb.jpg

I feel like I'm highjacking my own post!

One of my tsuba by Masayoshi 正吉

Described as the constellation of Draco (dragon) with a Ken at the end of the constellation

I wondered if the stars on the reverse denoted anything

21mrtib.jpg

24ymlh2.jpg

Thanks for letting me know the possible school for number 7

Grev UK

Hi Grev UK,

I haven't had much time for NMB this week in general but I am making time this weekend. :) The first one is my favorite of the bunch you posted. To me it looks like a mid to late Edo Period Myôchin (明弥) school work. Nothing spectacular but the mokume (woodgrain) texture is nice and the design as discussed is interesting. What is the tsuba measurements including thickness?

Hi

Thanks for posting the pictures. It certainly isn't a waste of time, I've studied them a number of times. My knowledge of the subject is rather weak and I too was hoping to learn from the comments of others. By the way what is the name of the museum and how did you get involved with them? Thanks for sharing.

Mick

Hi Mick

I don't advertise the name of the museum I'd rather wait until I've done all I can (with a lot of help)

I bought a turn of the century catalogue that showed around 500 tsuba that hadn't been on display for over 80 years

It seemed a shame that these should be hidden away so I contacted the museum and over a number of months photographed all the tsuba with the intention of producing a book. I didn't realise the enormity of the project so I'm still undecided on how to progress!

I've had loads of help from the NMB but still a long way to go

Grev UK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..