unusual katana on eBay

Hi everyone,

Unless my old age is finally setting in, and playing mischief with my memory, I am 99.9% sure a similar sword to this one was discussed recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-samura ... 1038882408

If anyone remembers the thread, could you please link it. I just spent 20mins searching with no avail. It was also an eBay listing, I think it ended around 2 months ago.

Basically, and again only to the best of my memory, it was also a long unokubi katana with bohi, also with an unwrapped tsuka and red lacquered saya... My mind could be playing tricks but it was a very unusual sword, which caught my eye, and now I'm wondering how is it possible to see another such unusual sword with almost identical fittings but much less rust and chips. :doubt: Surely someone spending money on a restoration would not leave the blade in the old saya ?

Brian, I'm you think my post is inappropriate while the auction is running, please freeze or remove it.

Regards

James

to say its not uncommon is an understatement. no question that is a scarce sword 30 inch with uncommon naginata seldom seen! for a sword that length is amazing with an o-kissaki too!!!, if you dont think its uncommon then try and go find one. especially under $5000. the rarity of something can be judged by how many we see or have seen in recent time. go with your feelings and own research, Ive found many opinions lead you astray, especially at auctions and when buying. folks tend to discourage buyers and bidders, talk items down ect... especially if they intend to buy it, seen this dozens of times, one fellow asks another about an item, that fellow doesnt show too much interest or talks it down, then as fast as you blink an eye they are taking it home and your left in the dust wondering what happened...LOL moral of the story, trust your own research, feelings and passion when buying anything, dont not buy something because someone says its no good, do your own homework. the best person usually to ask questions to is the sellers themselves

U trying to talk it up? :rotfl:

I don't want to keep anybody from buying this or any other sword. I agree that a 30" nagasa is quite rare per se, and that o-kissaki is sexy. I just don't think it is so rare that you could not see two similar swords in a few months.

No need to rant or accuse people of nefarious schemes, especially when you haven't even introduced yourself by name.

I was just getting on here to sign my name before someone lectured me,looks like you beat me to it, I would hope folks could loosin up a little and have a good time, fun times. I stopped collecting wiI always sign my posts, my comments were to the poster, trying to tell him to trust his own judgement and research. Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

OK, that lecturing on the signature was not necessary, sorry :oops:

As to the "trust your judgment" statement - you are right. In this case it is hard (or maybe easy) to make a judgment - we have low resolution pics of a sword which seems out pf polish and a seller who pretends he does not know what a signature is (or what it means), yet is fluent in nihonto terminoloy. Also " final sale with no returns"... hmm... and "this blade was made to destroy anything that came in its way" - I like that one. Razor sharp! :rotfl:

You have made the impression of being very bullish on the sword, and most folks here, while having fun watching some eBay autions, have a healthy does of scepticism.

James,

Your mind is not playing tricks with you. This sword was listed on ebay a few months ago by someone based in Australia, who claimed to have inherited a sword collection from his late father. The seller allegedly was selling this collection to fund his kids' future college expense. The sword went for about $6k. I think the current seller (based in Canada) bought the sword and is now trying to unload it. To break even, he would have to sell it for around $7k to cover ebay&paypal fees. I think he gambled and realize the sword is not what he thought it was. I am 100% it's the same sword, even down to the description.

Regards,

Hoanh

to say its not uncommon is an understatement. no question that is a scarce sword 30 inch with uncommon naginata seldom seen! for a sword that length is amazing with an o-kissaki too!!!, if you dont think its uncommon then try and go find one. especially under $5000. the rarity of something can be judged by how many we see or have seen in recent time. go with your feelings and own research, Ive found many opinions lead you astray, especially at auctions and when buying. folks tend to discourage buyers and bidders, talk items down ect... especially if they intend to buy it, seen this dozens of times, one fellow asks another about an item, that fellow doesnt show too much interest or talks it down, then as fast as you blink an eye they are taking it home and your left in the dust wondering what happened...LOL moral of the story, trust your own research, feelings and passion when buying anything, dont not buy something because someone says its no good, do your own homework. the best person usually to ask questions to is the sellers themselves

Remember that rarity is only one aspect of any purchase. The quality of the forging, the smith and the school are as important if not more. Many obscure smiths that made a few swords of poor quality. Definetly rare but not valuable.

JDromm

I was just getting on here to sign my name before someone lectured me,looks like you beat me to it, I would hope folks could loosin up a little and have a good time, fun times. I stopped collecting wiI always sign my posts, my comments were to the poster, trying to tell him to trust his own judgement and research. Jeremy

You've been here for over a year with 97 posts so I think Mariusz was correct to pull you up on the name thing.

That's what makes this place a little easier to loosen up and have a good time...knowing that we're all known amongst each other as many of us know each other off the board.

:beer:

As for the sword, Hoanh has the facts.

• 4 weeks later...
James,

Your mind is not playing tricks with you. This sword was listed on ebay a few months ago by someone based in Australia, who claimed to have inherited a sword collection from his late father. The seller allegedly was selling this collection to fund his kids' future college expense. The sword went for about $6k. I think the current seller (based in Canada) bought the sword and is now trying to unload it. To break even, he would have to sell it for around $7k to cover ebay&paypal fees. I think he gambled and realize the sword is not what he thought it was. I am 100% it's the same sword, even down to the description.

Regards,

Hoanh

It is definitely not the same sword, the one sold before had a gold inlaid mei. It was a completely different blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..