Fraudulent ebay listing

Bob,

Just for the fun of it, I just sent a message asking the guy for pictures of the bare tang and tip. Let's see how he will wiggle out of this request. May be he'll say: 1. doesn't know how to remove the handle, and 2. camera is broken...

Hoanh

I asked for pix when the sale 1st appeared. Here is the answer I received.

If you want to see more photos of the sword please let me know your email address or contact me directly at walharman1 followed by the usual AT then gmail and then DOT com

Thanks,

Walter

Feel free to have whatever fun with his email you like.

Grey

Thomas, I assume that he got the photos from the original listing a year or so ago. He only posted a few of the ones from the original listing. He mentioned a paper - this was a sales receipt from 1938 from a famous sword shop in Tokyo. Cheers, Bob

Hi Robert S.,

Thanks for the notice. Being a dying breed or endangered species that is the honest eBay seller this really makes me angry. :steamed: I would be calling eBay to complain if someone ever fraudulently listed at auction something from my website or my posts on NMB. I would also bring a copyright lawsuit against them as well. :evil:

I just received a message from the seller:

Hi Grey,

My Antique Japanese Katana is not on ebay anymore, but it's still available for sale.

My usual schedule has been changed and I had to go to Spain to take care of some business and that's why I've ended my auction.

The final price for the sword is US $ 1,700.00 including all the shipping costs and insurance.

Also I want to let you know that you will have the opportunity to receive and inspect the sword before you actually pay for it. If you are interested and want to know more details regarding the purchase just contact me.

Thanks and sorry for delay,

Walter

P.S: Please check the attachment for more photos.

There were pix of the tanto and receipt attached. I think I'll contact him to see what happens.

Grey

Let me guess...you just pay for the shipping and insurance to view it. But it can only go Fedex or other courier and comes to $200 or so. Multiply that by 10 or 20 victims, and you have a nice little scam.

Brian

And his answer:

Hi,

If you are interested I want to make the transaction through Skrill. This way you will have the opportunity to inspect the tanto before you actually pay for it. I'm saying this because you will have a maximum 14 days inspection period. You will send the money to Skrill and they will keep the money for us. Payment is held by Skrill until you receive and approve the tanto, I won't have access to the money until you will give them your approval. As soon as Skrill has the money I will ship the tanto to you.

Skrill releases funds to the Seller once the inspection period has passed without the Buyer requesting cancellation of the transaction and upon Skrill verification of the transaction information. The inspection period is agreed to by both the Buyer and the Seller and commences once the Buyer has received the item. Funds are released to the Seller the same or next business day after completion of the transaction and upon verification by Internet Skrill Services.

As soon as I will have your full name and also your full shipping address I will open an escrow case with Skrill and they will give you step by step details on how to proceed with the deal and to make the payment.

Thanks,

Walter

Wonder what his angle is. Unless Skrill is bogus (anyone know?) hard to see how he gets my money.

Grey

Grey,

Perhaps it's a bait-and-switch con. He'll ship you rocks and pebbles to give the package the proper weigh and perhaps will even insure it. Then he can get his money by either filing an insurance claim, or claiming you received the tanto when you tell Skrill you received rocks. It would be your words against his. Would that work?

Hoanh

This piece was offered on Ebay some six or twelve months ago . I contacted the seller requesting more photos . He pulled the auction shortly thereafter as he had been called to Spain on business unexpectedly. He then offered to sell me the sword at a too good ro be true price . I could pay this to skrill who would hold it in escrow until I got the goods. He would set up the skrill account . When I read up on skrill it appears that it is the buyer who sets up the account and not the seller. At this stage I figured I was being scammed and took it no further. I suspect the scam is that it is the sellers account you pay the money into and not skrills account. The guys activities ouight to be reported to the police. Lovely sword by the way you are lucky to own it

Ian Brooks

I miss old ebay,sold around 500 items from my collection to other collectors/dealers,on a friendly basis. Only once had a problem with some prints which is when I stopped. ebay froze my account,the chap in Spain now has my money and my prints,he 40 positive and four negative,me at that time four hundred positive and no negative.

Now they are a sort of Amazon,but full of crooks,they are not interested in the old day intercollector sale but .................ah what the hell,just do not use them,the potential for problems make it {as my Scots friends say}Shite.

Build a web site,sell and invite seller/buyers to it,did this around eight years ago and have had some great visits,drunk lunch periods as well as sold & bought.

Give it a try,seldom the sales are instant but you get to meet some good folk...{See my feed back from a buyer on Izzi}

It appears from what Ian said that this scammer has done this before. The first auction, the one that I bought it in, was also a little under a cloud. I bought it from an antique dealer in Hawaii, and there was some internet bashing of this antique shop that was a shakedown but he couldn't stop since it was offshore from the US. His feedback was fine, and I went ahead and bought it. It was $5200 as I recall, not cheap, but the fittings are wonderful and the blade, which is also quite healthy and beautiful (can't tell in the photos) has subsequently papered at the NTHK-NPO. I would think that this guy can sell that sword over and over again at $1800!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..