Kaifu Swords

Medina San1

Quick question on Kaifu Awa Yasuyoshi… After doing a little reading I find a little passage that states that Dr. Honma of the NBTHK describes the work of Awa Yasuyoshi as being similar in style to that of Go Yoshihiro? In Hawley’s he is rated at 60, the Toko Taikan Yen 3M, FS 300 and Jo Saku yet the Japanese don’t look at it Highly and he is even rated as high as the first Yasuyoshi of Nagato from the Samonji school Shohei era.??? Maybe not so quick a question.. . I’ve added 3 photos for discussion.

Dan

post-4719-14196902702515_thumb.jpg

post-4719-14196902704218_thumb.jpg

post-4719-14196902706578_thumb.jpg

I am guessing it's because Kaifu Awa Yasuyoshi does not belong to one of the five traditions (Yamashiro, Yamato, Bizen, Soshu, Mino) and is therefore seen as outside of the mainstream. Of course, it's our tendency to pigeon hole everything into categories...

Hoanh

I am guessing it's because Kaifu Awa Yasuyoshi does not belong to one of the five traditions (Yamashiro, Yamato, Bizen, Soshu, Mino) and is therefore seen as outside of the mainstream. Of course, it's our tendency to pigeon hole everything into categories...

Hoanh

So was he as good as say the other Yasuyoshi I mentioned above as the numbers given by Hawley, Toko Taikan FS as the numbers match both Koto?

Having trouble identifying a question....What exactly are you asking?

Why do the Japanese sword collectors turn their noses at Kaifu swords?

As has been mentioned, Kaifu swords are not in the "mainstream" but rather considered "country" smiths. Most are not that refined or that well made....Of course there are exceptions. Most Japanese collectors prefer the more famous schools and smiths.

I would think so...He was a good smith-some schools just don't get a lot of respect and Kaifu is one of them.

Thank you Chris....

What can you tell me by looking at the photos posted?

By the way were you the gentleman who was at the shinsa down stairs handing the papers and swords to the sword owners?

Dan

I can't tell too much- the hadori and angles preclude any clear views of the hamon but it looks well forged.

Yes, I was working in the shinsa room in Tampa....

I think I was the last one that day and you translated on my shinsa ppwk the Nidai Tadahiro 74 points thanks...

Dan

After doing a little reading I find a little passage that states that Dr. Honma of the NBTHK describes the work of Awa Yasuyoshi as being similar in style to that of Go Yoshihiro? In Hawley’s he is rated at 60, the Toko Taikan Yen 3M, FS 300 and Jo Saku yet the Japanese don’t look at it Highly and he is even rated as high as the first Yasuyoshi of Nagato from the Samonji school Shohei era.??? Maybe not so quick a question.

Excellent topic.

If there was ever a book of excellent wakimono to be written, I am sure there would be a Kaifu Den work, or two, in it.

Maybe because they were not prolific, their works just do not bolster much interest. High ratings in these texts indicate that Kaifu Yasuyoshi works have been highly valued, at least at some point. Hawley's is supossed to be based on actual transaction values, if I am not mistaken.

Ultimately, a good sword is a good sword...and many good swords have come from the Kaifu Den in Awa.

Hello:

Well there are Kaifu and there are Kaifu. The quality range of Kaifu is much broader than some of the poorer, tool-like swords, of later periods. For an eye-opening discussion of Kaifu, cf., Okada Ichiro, " In Regard to Kaifu, Tokushima-Ken," The Afu Quartrly, 1995, No. 1, pp. 23-33. The Quarterly was a translation journal of Harry Afu Watson. It has been discontinued and in its short run it provided a translation service of great variety that has as of yet been unmatched as far as I know.

Their work goes back well into koto times and excellent early examples are rarely seen in part because, according to the author, many were "upgraded" to Kyo and Soshu mono or one type or another. Uyiyoshi, Yasuyoshi, Ujiyasu, Fuji, Morihisa, Ujishige and Yasunaga are wll spoken of. It is stated that from time to time Kaifu works are mistaken for those of Go Yoshihiro, which is about as high a commendation as can be offered. There is a Kaifu in the Kyoho Meibutsu Cho

Arnold F.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..