Tsuba from a pole arm mounting.

Dr Fox

This tsuba has been sitting in a mounting for a pole arm, and gives the appearance of a sword item.

Or is that an incorrect statement to make?

Either way I am taken with it, I was told the mei is a swordsmiths?

post-3310-14196901132132_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis,

Yes the maker of the tsuba is Kunihiro (國廣) a shinshinto era swordsmith located in Bushu Province during the late Edo Period who also made tsuba as a hobby. Haynes states in his index that there might have been four or five swordsmiths using the "Kunihiro" artist name during this time period. I once had one of his tsuba in my collection similar to yours.

Hi Denis,

Not sure what link you are referring to. The early Shinto era swordsmith Guido is talking about never made any tsuba that to the best of my knowledge. I seen a few of these late Edo Period tsuba signed "Kunihiro" received NBTHK Hozon level papers so I don't think they are considered gimei.

Hi David

See where you are in your last reply, thank you.

My reference to a link, is to my post on this board, the pole arm which is described by Jean as, Shobu Zukuri came with this tsuba as a fitting.

Regards.

ither way, i do like the rustic simplicity of it.

Stephen thats exactly where I live with this tsuba!

And on the tsuba subject, the prize I won in the draw arrived this am.

And I am delighted with the attractive way it was packaged, the tsuba itself is fine and more than I had hoped for.

Your involvement is very much appreciated, Thank you sooooo much.

I had a premonition some time ago, that I found the whole subject of tsuba too attractive.

Well I am bitten, and will regard this nice item as special, and a start to my eventual financial ruin.

I will now seek out James for a thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..