Any ideas on age school tanto

post-2555-14196900877198_thumb.jpg

This is from the "connoisseurs " which is why I thought it would indicate a generally older blade Heian being oldest... Edo newest and everything in between. So by saying older i mean more towards the left of a timeline.

Hi Marcello.

I assume that from your question that from the images you have judged that the mune is flat? From your reading you may also have assumed that this might mean the blade is very early?

I suspect that when you get the blade in hand you will find an iori mune, the most common type. You should also question whether tanto are available form the Heian jidai.

This does not mean that you the tanto is not interesting, when you have it in hand some better images will help.

All the best.

I was thinking only the smallest chance it could be that old, as I know there are almost none around. I didn't buy it for its age it looked interesting to me and some what complete. i wanted a tanto with the Bo and Soe hi on it. Also it was presented by a high ranking korean general to a US service man with documentation (supposedly) so I'm hoping that may indicated so sort of quality but I have 14 days to return if it turns out to be junk :) . Ill post the all telling nagako soon

Thanks

Cello,

Nihonto entertains wildest hopes/dreams. 20 years ago I know someone who bought in France a Naotane in a garage sale for 5$.

you have almost no chance at all to find a mid Kamakura tanto so an earlier one...

Be very careful when it comes to gifts between officials, it is never a Kokuho or jubi.

I don't think that the President of Italy would offer as gift a Rafaelo to President Obama.

Your blade will probably be a sue Koto honest tanto but wait for the picture.

Concerning the mune, to think it is flat is a wishful thinking, above all considering the pictures. :)

Question: Do you know if it is signed?

try quickly to have the blade kanteied once you have it and compare to the price you paid, taking into account you need to have it polish and a shirasaya made.

One can dream right lol....I figured from the limited photos I had available I take a chance. I like the blade either way ( like it more if it would be kamakura. I only have one tanto so I'm excited to get my hands on another and start to learn more about them. I'll have more information by weeks end as to Mei etc. I appreciate the replies and discussion which is why I post. Without posts there's no discussion hence no NMB! I love seeing a thread go for months or years my naginata post is still alive 8,00+ views later :)

Age meaning little to me, I would have also taken a chance on this based on the soe hi and bo hi. If well cut, they are usually a sign of something that isn't junk. It looks ok to me so far, maybe a shinshinto, but a nice example. We will have to see.

Brian

Pop the tsuka.

Nakago will tell a million words.

Mostly you don't see the long hi on Kamakura tanto. Shintogo does it sometimes for instance but in his case then the bottom end of the hi is below the machi, not like on this. This makes it look awkward and awkward is not part of kamakura tanto usually.

So Muromachi? Or, end of Edo to make mounts stick together? I kind of lean to the latter.

Nakago will clarify it all though.

If the mei is gimei how do they re-produce the stamp - kakihan ? Do the fabricate a stamp or cut out the design in the nakago - no comment on this particular blade - just a question whether this stamp or any other .

Here is a shoshi-gimei comparison that might help (Shin Nihonto no Kantei Nyumon by Hiroi & Iida, Sho58 p.226), The book is old now so may be superceeded. I think from these points shown your mei is not correct...but as Chris says there was more than one generation. If the oshigata are too hard to see maybe the kantei points will help...hope this helps.

Regards,

post-787-14196901805145_thumb.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..