Hizen Tadakuni?

Daniel

Nice sugata,and upswept blade,the hada also visible in the ji.

What is the verdict,a mumei shinshinto, with the mei cut in ww2, or a later Tadakuni lineage,i would just like to learn as it's a nice sword in shape and hada,is it the tang that gave this away,or the mei strokes.

Regards.Ian bellis

Thank you for your replies so far, so the verdict is Gimei? What do you think about the age? The nakago is much darker in reality, almost black. I found a couple of pics of another sword signed tadakuni. Exactly the same length, signed katana mei, similar shape and even the Habaki looks the same. Just to be clear I bought the first sword from nihonto.au who was very clear he didn't guarantee the mei so I bought it as a good antique blade in good condition gunto mounts. I attach a couple of photos of the other sword(not mine)

Regards

Daniel

post-1779-14196900008907_thumb.jpg

post-1779-14196900011184_thumb.jpg

post-1779-14196900016161_thumb.jpg

Hi Daniel, You ask is the mei shoshin IMHO, from a quick look. Not the first-generation or 2-gen mei, look at differences between some of the shoshin mei and yours viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15940 or check the web, lots of them. If you want some shoshin mei to look at (Fujishiro's) drop me a line and I will send them to you.

If its Gimei I would have a look at Bungo Takada school this sword looks like it could come from that school maybe ? and it looks shinto from the photos mid to late 1600s is my guess . But I am not good at kantei and from photos :roll: so I may be way off :)

I would think definitely gimei. The signature is a rather poor attempt. Look at the tada kanji- quite clumsy and misshapen in my opinion. The ends of many strokes have a pointy shape to them- that seems odd as well...As has been said several times, this is not Hizen hada. I think it is a clear fake. Takada is a good call.

EDIT: I think they are both fake.

So probably a Bungo Takada from the 1600s

Yes it looks like the same sword doesn't it? The blade has been polished recently in Japan. Thank you for your help and response so far, as always I'm very grateful to the kind members of this wonderful board.

Cheers

Daniel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..