NTHK-NPO shinsa results/Katana pictures

LGMartialArts

Greetings! I'm a new member to this forum and am asking a request. I received a katana I entered into the NTHK-NPO shinsa that was recently held in Florida. I also got the judging sheet, but can't read a lick of kanji and would appreciate it if someone could please translate it for me. I originally bought this katana as a Mumei ShinShinto piece, but someone on another forum roughly translated it to be actually a Shinto blade. Thanks in advance. 87E72C82-E379-488E-A879-B5DF4CE0695B_zpshuhlq8i0.jpg

Here are some pictures of the katana... BTW, this is staying as an heirloom for my family. I will NOT sell or trade it. That being said, how much would you all consider this katana being worth? Most of the fittings were sold off by the previous owner btw, except for the mokko tsuba and saya.

Sheathed

IMG_7661_zpsf587b8da.jpg

Another pic of it sheathed

IMG_7660_zpsf59f7aa2.jpg

Unsheathed for the first time

IMG_7663_zps7831dcb2.jpg

Nice activity on the blade

IMG_7665_zpsfc7e50a6.jpg

Different angle

IMG_7667_zpsb92d8813.jpg

New(ish)Tsuka wrapped in lacquered leather

IMG_7662_zps74db7202.jpg

New(ish)Tsuka pic 2

DSC_0091_zpsd886cee8.jpg

Saya/koiguchi

IMG_7668_zps22536b21.jpg

Saya/koiguchi 2

IMG_7669_zps6b2c28e7.jpg

Kojiri

IMG_7671_zpscfaecbe2.jpg

Kojiri 2

IMG_7672_zps4312f423.jpg

Saya/Kurikata

IMG_7670_zpsfdf405f8.jpg

what looks like a tiny little kuchikomi on the hamon a few inches from the habaki on the left side of the blade (ha is facing up). The activity on the blade is subtle yet amazing imho even with the "flaw"

IMG_7684_zpse2785ca7.jpg

another "flaw", this time a few inches from the kissaki

IMG_7674_zps4f4717e4.jpg

same "flaw", different picture, plus you can barely make out some light staining on the blade

IMG_7675_zps0d506b66.jpg

kissaki nicks - barely visible

IMG_7682_zps5eb9ce9c.jpg

reverse side of the kissaki, you can notice the nicks a little better here

IMG_7683_zps03d7faa9.jpg

I'd value the blade at maybe $1500-$2k. Are the menuki antique? The kanteisho does help it hold value. However, Kissaki is in poor polish and the kodogu seems to be repro/ low quality. Koshirae as a whole is not original "enough" to add much to the overall package. Pinhole in the ha is not a great flaw to have. I would fear polishing the whole blade again due to that tidbit. Could probably clean up the kissaki for $2-300 to bring the overall value closer or just over $2k in the open market.

the tsuka was supposedly made in Japan, but other than that, don't know much about it or the menuki. The ShinShinto koshirae it had before I bought it was sold off seperately tto a collector by the guy who sold the sword to me.

I am considering sending it to a togishi in the states next year (that's the time frame he gave me) to get his recomendation towards a final polish (which I'd rather do) than a full restoration polish since I think that'll take too much "meat" from the blade.

After doing doing some research while in the process of buying this katana last year, I found that this sword sold for $3,950 back in 2008, with the ShinShinto koshirae, mind you... because of that, I think your valuation is a little on the low side. I suspect it's worth more than the $1,500-2,000 you mentioned, especially now that it has kanteisho papers on the way. :)

post-4998-1419689903328_thumb.jpg

post-4998-14196899051881_thumb.jpg

post-4998-14196899070091_thumb.jpg

I hope you don't take this as a hostile response, and more as constructive criticism.. But.. The sword you post as reference is in much better condition and comes with a koshirae that adds value. Moses Becerra is also a very good dealer who, often, gets top dollar in his sales.

Thanks for all the suggestions, comments, etc... I know I'm a newbie when it comes to collecting nihonto ,but I also know that I have a connection to this sword, as it's my first true nihonto. That being said, I also know what it isn't. I understand you're trying to help out and prevent a possible "catastrophe" (my words, not yours), but my intentions are purely honorable here. I know this isn't a national treasure, I know it's not the greatest Shinto example in the world, but it is special to me. I am NOT planning a complete, full out restoration project, costing many, many thousands more than the sword is worth, but even if I did go this route, who's to say that that's wrong? Again, thanks for the advice/comments/suggestions. I will take them all into consideration since I have respect for those of you who have countless hours studying/owning/handling nihonto on a regular basis compared to my one and only.

:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..