Kyu Gunto mounted tachi

obiwanknabbe

Hi everyone,

I respectfully ask the community for some assistance on a translation here. It is rather badly corroded in spots but I have done my best to highlight the mei that remains. I think It begins with Jitsu ????? Tsuki ??? Dai ????Moto/Mori? The rest is beyond me.

The blade from what I can tell, is a Tachi in rather spectacular condition. The Nagasa is 27 1/4 inches (69.215 cm). The Sori is approximately 2 inchs (5.08 cm). The mei is cut on the nagako so that the edge would be facing down if the signature were to face out (tachi mei?). It has a rather tight gunome hamon which i tried to pick up in the pictures and the hada appears to be very very tight itame.

The seppa are all well fitted. Some appear to be made of silver. The habaki also appears to be silver and is in cat scratch motif.

So a few questions. First, any idea who this smith is? 2nd, This blade belongs to a friend of mine, who wishes to sell it, but he and I have no idea what a reasonable price should be. Fair ballpark figures? 3rd, Any idea what the carvings on the top of the tsuba say? TAME ???? Was this the owners name or an assembly mark? 4th, Am i correct in concluding that the Mon on the tsuka is that of the Ito samurai clan?

Thanks again for all you guys do.

Kurt.k

post-4708-14196897577376_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196897578736_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196897580302_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196897583002_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196897585504_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196897588155_thumb.jpg

You guys are the best!

Is gimei common on blades of this age? The Nagako on this is really old looking. Here are some pics without the chalk powder. Perhaps this will help.

Even if it is Gimei, its is likely really old gimei. Can you gentlemen suggest what he should be asking for it? There are zero flaws.

Kurt.k

post-4708-14196897638867_thumb.jpg

post-4708-14196897642031_thumb.jpg

Kurt, just so you know, rusting a new nakago is not difficult... so, it's not always an accurate way to gauge age, especially if a person doesn't have lots of experience in recognizing all the factors which can point to a 1000-year-old sword... OR... a newer sword which has been purposely "aged"...

False aging is often done purposely to decieve... just like false signatures...

On the plus side, the sugata looks nice and the polish looks OK (although the hadori isn't doing the sword any favors, IMO)...

John,

Is there anyone you can suggest? We live on the north fork of long island in NY. There are no sword clubs out here.

And I agree with the sentiment that the Hadori is not helping the eye appeal. It struck me as an uninspired polish. Perhaps it was done in or just before war-time. As it stands, its very nice. Has great balance too. I must admit that the samegawa covered tsuka is rough on the hands though.

Kurt.K

You might have to cross the bridge to New York. NYTK would be a good start. E-mail; NYTokenkai@gmail.com for the next meeting. You missed the one last Sunday. John

6th Floor, AKF Engineering Conference Room

Sign in at desk in lobby

Take elevator to 6th floor

Enter the AKF Conference room at end of hallway

Generally, meetings are held on the fourth Sunday of each month from 12 noon to 3 PM, except July, August & December.

Meetings normally have a one or more technical lectures on Japanese swords with a question and answer period. Members are asked to bring any examples from their collection that fit in with the meeting topic. Everyone is then free to examine the items on display to apply what they have just learned as well as get to know the members in attendance.

Visitors are always welcome, there is a $5 fee to participate.

mariuszk,

Your correct, the sori is 2cm, not 2 inchs. Yesterday was a long day. As for "hadamono", what exactly do you mean? Hada is visible in hand, just hard to photograph. Its very tightly packed. I don't have an SLR camera so I have a hard time getting it to focus on reflective material. Looking really close at it in natural sunlight, i am noticing some very tiny evidence of Nie Deki along the hamon (at least to my novice eyes). The surface is a little cloudy so it makes being certain difficult.

I found this article lat night and some of what it said seems to apply. Honestly there were some terms that im not quite sure how to relate to the sword in question. http://www.touken.or.jp/english/translation/630.htm.

Should I just buy this off of him? He wants it gone (as the $ is needed elsewhere) and I have a few spare bucks (not something I get to say often) and i like it. Assuming its Gimei. Whats fair?

Kurt.k

hadamono - a hada that stands out and that is highly visible. Pretty typical for northern Japan (Etchu, Dewa), but also for ko-Hoki (Hoki was a province more in the south). Hadamono is said to denote a sword which is more resilient in cold weather.

Hadmono has also a slightly negative tone to it, and Hokurikudo swords (also called Hokkoku-mono) are known (but not admired) for it. Then again, some smiths whose hada was hadamono are highly rated - Etchu Norishige being one of a few.

Hope that helps.

Turns out to be real?

If you are not in the position to verify the authenticity of the blade, you should leave it. You will just lose money hunting for a hidden treasure which is not there.

$2,800 will buy you a decent, papered blade.

Do what you want, but don't cry afterwards.

• Like 1

Stephen,

There is not a spot on this blade. No loose grain, no openings, no kizu, no chips, bends, cracks. Nothing other than some rubs and hairline scratches you can see when hit by direct light (likely from saya). It is very well preserved. All I can do is research it, right?

Kurt.k

• 6 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but by odd coincidence I see that this very sword is up for auction at a prominent auctioneer next month.  I was impressed with its condition but noticed that it hasn't gotten papered in the interim.  Maybe gimei?  Kurt, are you the seller and if not did you have any luck researching it when you were considering a purchase back in 14?

-Reid 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..