Snow in Chicago - Tampa on ice - OMG!!!

Dear Peter,

I am glad I did not book a flight to Tampa as I would have to make a connecting flight out of O'Hare. It's strange as I desperately wanted to escape the winter we are experiencing up here in Manitoba even for a few days, .... but the number of times Winnipeg International has been shut down this winter ??? This has been one God awful winter up here and across Canada and extending well down into the USA. It seems worldwide ... Asia, Europe , everyone is having climate related trouble. The Snow and extreme Cold have finally abated somewhat but right from before Christmas to now has been one of, if not the coldest winters on record and we up here are used to long winters.

... Ron Watson

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear that about your trip to Tampa and our discussion of all things Nanban. I am leaving early Saturday and I checked the weather for Saturday in the Washington, DC at it will be mild and even better in Tampa. The flight a direct one is only two hours which is really great. :D

Actually extreme winter weather is an effect of global warming. Where I live in January and February have been unseasonably warm. The jet stream has looped more southerly than usual. Believe me when I say there is a warming trend in the high arctic that is undeniable. The last few years the Northwest Passage has been relatively ice free. John

Real Scary John, especially hearing it from someone who can see the gradual impact first hand. Montreal is always cold and snowy so same winter here as always.

Time for everyone to stop collecting Nihonto for the next several years and put that money towards electric cars :lol:

Honestly Nick and this is OT, but, for everyone listening. This is no hoax, do not listen to those political hacks payed by big oil, we are in trouble. Sources of alternative energy should be dilgently researched and their use subsidised for so many reasons it is suicide not to. Not just the warming trend, there is the petro industries need for petroleum for plastics, etc. basically chemicals for so much that would be a better use than wasting it going for a loaf of bread. I think our real hope may be hydrogen engines and hydrogen fuel cells with the hydrogen produced by alternative methods. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and let someone else do the work, we have to force the government to do something now. Sorry guys, this is important. Back to Tampa. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..