Nihonto Monogatari "The Art of the Swordsmith"

cabowen

Members:

I have long been hunting for a very rare film made in 1957 in Japan by Asano Tatsuo titled "The Art of the Swordsmith"; the run time is about 27 minutes. The film stars Tsukamoto Okimasa and shows him working in his forge making swords. I have been hunting for this film on and off for close to 10 years....I am happy to report that at long last I have located a print. That is the good news: the bad news is it looks like I may have to jump through many many hoops in order to view it. I will keep this site posted as to my progress. I would ultimately like to be able to get a dvd copy of the film to share.

I believe this may be the earliest footage of a sword smith at work in existence. It is possibly the only footage of a WWII era smith at work as well...

Robert Hughes from Keichodo? Wasn't aware he was a university professor.....???

Someone with connections to a university film group is what would help...I have talked with the UW-Madison group as they have borrowed films in the past from the archive in Japan that has the print but they of course are not that interested in screening this film...I may have to try some government connections through Japanese sword collectors...I am awaiting word back from the archive about how I might best go about this...

Well, I don't know his actual title, but, he is a prof of some sort at a school in Tokyo. John

Wasn't aware of that- I thought he dealt swords full time. I am sure he is not a full time professor- which is what I would need....But thanks for the thought...

Chris,

If Bob can help you, and a Japanese connection is what you need, go for it(!). Let me also humbly say that I have some suasion with the Kawasaki Reading Room at the University of Neberaska-Lncoln. I would also work hard on getting t copy of this film archved thru the UNL Center forDigial Research in the Humanities. And, would love to help. Please keep me in mind!

Peter

Wah and Peter:

Sounds very good! Let me see where my inquires go and what they advise. The film is in the archives of a Japanese governmental foundation that only lends out films to non-profits, etc., for screenings. Seems there is a lot of red tape as I have said but I am working with one of their US office people. The film is in 16mm. I do not think they would permit any copying without a release from the copyright owner but that is something I am also looking into. Peter your connections may be just the ticket; perhaps you can make some inquiries in that department to see if they have any interest in obtaining the film for a showing....

Robert Hughes from Keichodo? Wasn't aware he was a university professor.....??? ...
Never knew that.....Good for him....
Chris, we both know that there are English teachers in Japan, and then there are English teachers in Japan.

Bob is an Associate Professor at Tōyō University, Dept. of Regional Development. He also runs a couple of humanitarian projects in the Philippines. Collecting and dealing in swords is just a hobby (among a couple of others) for him.

Chris,

To move this thread back to the film...

I contacted the Kawasaki Reading Room (remember Kawasaki makes motorcycles and subway cars here in Lincoln - Go Big Red!). The Director would happily get a copy of an early film on swordsmithing. They would curate a copy - could one be held - and they have good contacts in Japan. So...

Please get me the titles etc of the film - Nihongo de - and the contact information on the agency wich has the print.

This looks like it should be doable.

Peter

Chris,

To move this thread back to the film...

I contacted the Kawasaki Reading Room (remember Kawasaki makes motorcycles and subway cars here in Lincoln - Go Big Red!). The Director would happily get a copy of an early film on swordsmithing. They would curate a copy - could one be held - and they have good contacts in Japan. So...

Please get me the titles etc of the film - Nihongo de - and the contact information on the agency wich has the print.

This looks like it should be doable.

Peter

Wonderful! I will send you the details by PM.

I have contacted the Japanese Consulate in Chicago to see if they can do anything to facilitate this as well. One way or another, hopefully we can get it...

Thanks again,

I'm almost certain a copy exist outside of Japan in the English speaking world with English subtitle.

Wah

I am sure you are right, the problem is finding it....There is probably one or more of them rotting away in a basement of closet somewhere...

I'm almost certain a copy exist outside of Japan in the English speaking world with English subtitle.

Wah

I am sure you are right, the problem is finding it....There is probably one or more of them rotting away in a basement of closet somewhere...

It is actually quite a well known documentary in the West in the educational establishment. I'm waiting for a reply from an archive who might have actually got a copy. Don't be too optimistic at this stage though ;)

Wah

That would be great as well....I have asked around and gotten nowhere here in the US. I haven't tried other countries though undoubtedly it was sent to the UK and who knows where else as well....Let us know what you find out Wah. And thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..