Got mei I think, but then stuck!

Dr Fox

Hi all, had a go myself at this one, got bits of kanji then posts on the board revealed the rest (I hope).

Izumi No Kami Kunisada?

I see George Trotter posted on this some time ago, and I gathered a good bit from that. I have got confused with father and son on this one, and in truth could not follow the variations in mei strokes. So is it? is it real,who is it? and approx when.

Thanks in anticipation.

This is a very crudely done fake. Google some examples and you will see quite easily the difference between crude and skilled.

Thanks Chris

I have to admit to struggling with comparing any mei on nakago to written kanji. I did the Google and examples here, but I could not fit this in anywhere, and now I know why! A good piece for further study.

Just, FYI... It's worth noting that just because a sword has a false signature doesn't mean it's a bad sword. There are good swords with big names like this faked on the them...

I agree Adam, you are right I have a stunner here gi-mei to Sukehiro, but knowing it is not "right" is a bonus.

Cheers.

Chris

"Grossly apparent" When confronted with the examples you provided, yes it is. Its finding the genuine article to compare it with, is where I now need to concentrate. I appreciate its all out there, so must do better.

Thanks.

google is your friend.

I actually question whether buying any of the large taikan style books is even necessary any longer as one can get an authentic example of nearly any smith in any Japanese reference through google with a few key strokes.

Taking on board your comment Chris, must rely more on the internet, as opposed to the mountain of books I have always been advised to buy.

I claim to be PC savvy so should not have an excuse, for not using the medium as intended.

As always regards

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..