Bummed about SOS at end of Feb

Talked my wife into letting me drive up the for the Show of Shows event, looked at calendar and saw I have a treatment that Friday so no way I can go. Really bummed about it. I'll be stuck in a chair with tubes coming out of my arm with poisons going in my body instead. Hope those that get to go this year have a great time. Please share pictures throughout the event.

Guess this is a good excuse to get free for the next Tulsa show.

-Brandon

Looking forward to your pics, Jason. My buddy is going and taking some of my high end knives to sell or at least attempt to sell. Told him he's free to spend my cash on in polish, minty Gendaito/Nihonto in Shin-Gunto, Kai-Gunto (Ray skin scabbard only)or Kyu-Gunto fittings for me (I know, I know, I just haven't developed the appreciation for the Nihonto fittings and personally like the military fittings...). We shall see what happens, I have a feeling he won't be comfortable spending my money without me there.

Speaking of sword shows, I really wish there was one in Texas again, I'd love to be able to go to a local one. I'd get a table to display the entire collection of 6 blades I have. lol. I wonder if Mr. Quigley is up to getting them going again... If not, I'll have to see if some of the other sword guys up here would be interested in trying to get something going once a year.

-Brandon

Hey I hear you! I'm going to look for a kai-gunto myself or win the lottery with a Minatogawa blade. I'm going back to reread my books on Imperial Japan swords one last time so feel more comfortable about what I'm looking at too lol. It would be neat to see a couple Yasukuni swords as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my buddies are saying it's already turning out to be a good show. Any more reports? Anyone want to share pictures for those of us who didn't get to make it? I'll be in my infusion tomorrow from 10-1 or so with not much else to do but play on my phone and look at pics or sleep.

Thanks,

Brandon

Here is a picture of part of the show, could not get it all in frame there are 1800 + tables, also pictures of my table.

The show was interesting, I saw Minatagawa, Yasukuni, Great custom order gendai, Shinto, Koto blades, full set of armour and there is probably plenty I missed.

Then I went to the gun show next door, 2000 tables, found some good showa swords, star stamped, dragon horimono etc. Then before I left a couple of young men opened a table with swords, it seems they are selling a collection for a widow, there was Rai Kunitoshi, Soshu Akihiro, Masahide, Norinaga, Tsunahiro, Bizen Kanemitsu, and I forget some others, I bought a nice Soshu Hiromasa with horimono that caught my eye.

should be real busy tomorrow, I will have to try and get some sleep

post-102-14196897805163_thumb.jpg

post-102-14196897822885_thumb.jpg

post-102-14196897838114_thumb.jpg

Thanks, mark! Hope your doing well there. Would like a nice star stamped blade to add to the collection. My buds said they're doing well, they mainly do German stuff. I sent a couple of things with them, they said everyone is drooling over them and saying how nice they are but not talking price. Oh well.

-Brandon

Interesting to see these positive reviews. The tone is much less favorable on the TR militaria sites. I guess it depends on what your focus is and if you happened to come across anything you enjoyed seeing.

Several folks mentioned to me about the abundance of reproduction Type 95 NCO swords being sold as authentic period pieces. Fortunately they still look ugly and were not selling well.

Anyone have information on the Yasukuni and Minatogawa swords available at the show?

Regards,

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Stu, I did not see any shrine swords but I could have missed one.

I had pictures of tsuba's but my camera was set to high and I cannot for some reason shrink them down enough to post them here. Next year I will know to turn it down. All and all it was a great show. I saw the most in polish swords at the military show from a guy in Oregon. Apparently he was selling them for a lady that had a husband that wanted to get out of swords.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..