Hizen Tadahiro

Hello,

recently I saw a Hizen Tadahiro Daisho. The Dai is signed "Hizen Kuni ju Tadahiro saku" and the Sho "Hizen Kuni ju Fujiwara Tadahiro".

I tried to verify these two Mei (with R. Robertshaw´s "The school of Tadayoshi"), but due to my limited knowledge I came to no conclusion -except it´s Gimei (because it is signed Katana Mei and additionally I think I am on the save side with this starting point 8) ), therefore I would kindly ask for your opinion :-)

Many thanks in advance

Klaus

edit:typo

post-1134-14196892539704_thumb.jpg

Hard to say anything about the mei without better pics. Especially with Tadahiro, which are usually well done and the differences minute.

If you search the forum, there are dozens of examples of shoshin mei. Compare and see what you think?

I would send a pic to Roger Robertshaw for an opinion, although it will likely be a gimei call. I think the nakago jiri of these is going to lead to at least one of them being called gimei.

Brian

As Brian suggests it is difficult to assess based on the images. The Katana looks wrong apart from being signed katana mei the hiro character looks a long way off.

The wakazashi looks closer to the nidai signature (wakazashi were signed katana mei) both the hiro and wara characters look close as far as can be seen. to be more confident would need some better images and more detail of the swords, size hada hamon etc.

Regards

Paul

If you compare the kanji for Zen, in Hizen, the Zen in the katana mei is written differently than the Zen on the wak. The way Zen is written on the katana is the correct official Japanese way of writing Zen, but is NOT the way the Tadayoshi Tadahiro school wrote Zen. The katana is obviously gimei based on that one Kanji as well as the mei being on the wrong side of the nakago for a katana from this school. That just leaves the wakizashi to be examine more closely to see if it is gimei or not. Good luck,

If you compare the kanji for Zen, in Hizen, the Zen in the katana mei is written differently than the Zen on the wak. The way Zen is written on the katana is the correct official Japanese way of writing Zen, but is NOT the way the Tadayoshi Tadahiro school wrote Zen. The katana is obviously gimei based on that one Kanji as well as the mei being on the wrong side of the nakago for a katana from this school. That just leaves the wakizashi to be examine more closely to see if it is gimei or not. Good luck,

Dear Ed,

many thanks for information.

In the meantime I am in contact with Roger and he mentioned the same as you :D

Katana definitely Gimei, Waki...... to be examinaded more closely... I am working on it...

thx

Klaus

• 10 months later...
Hello,

recently I saw a Hizen Tadahiro Daisho. The Dai is signed "Hizen Kuni ju Tadahiro saku" and the Sho "Hizen Kuni ju Fujiwara Tadahiro".

I tried to verify these two Mei (with R. Robertshaw´s "The school of Tadayoshi"), but due to my limited knowledge I came to no conclusion -except it´s Gimei (because it is signed Katana Mei and additionally I think I am on the save side with this starting point 8) ), therefore I would kindly ask for your opinion :-)

Many thanks in advance

Klaus

edit:typo

In The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords by Kokan Nagayama (pp.248) it says: "Hizen smiths always inscribe their signature in the tachi mei (in the case of katana) except for lyo no Jo Munetsugu"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..