Satsuma-age

cabowen

Here is a good example of what Satsuma-age means- shortening a sword from the tip, usually done to a broken sword....Of course, once this happens, the blade is considered a relic or artifact and not collectible as a nihon-to... (see below)

post-1462-14196891648889_thumb.jpg

Im interested in how you would put a value on a blade such as this?, taking into account that it could have been made by a reputable smith and there are folk who wont be put off if the price is right.

On another point, im looking at how the sword was re manufactured. Rather than just reshape it the way it was and hope for the best, wisely they squeeze the hamon to an hardened point, a new mini boshi.

A page you have all seen, but a bit on counter shortening at the bottom of the page.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/suriage.html

Hi Chris

Interesting, I wonder if you have ever seen it done where a false kissaki with boshi were fabricated.

I've seen false boshi and hamon so I guess it's possible?

Regards

Tony

Usually, it is not re-hardened or a false hamon (boshi). Satsuma-age embeded (leaves) the original hamon in the new shape of the blade!

Uwe

I have been informed that actually not all Satsuma -age blades are considered relics/artifacts and that indeed some were in Daimyo collections in olden times and some have received Hozon papers in modern ones...Here is an example:

http://www.tsuruginoya.com/mn1_3/a00259.html

Thank you to one of our board members for bringing this to my attention!

On the one that Chris originally posted, the new shaping has now given the blade a kissaki with hamon. Therefore the tip is hardened although it has lost the shape. Unconventional shape maybe, but not at risk of point damage like unhardened ones are. So in my eyes, it isn't fatally flawed as is..it is still functional. It may not have a turnback..but neither do some unaltered swords. So maybe ugly to some..less functional to others..it is a viable sword with an intact hamon. Would work to pierce clothing and light armour...but the slashing ability is what is reduced. Interesting case study.

Brian

It is generally only used on blades that have been broken and reshaped for use. Naginata blades that are reshaped into naginata-naoshi are considered differently as my understanding of the term is that it applies only to katana/wakizashi and not naginata. No idea when it came into being...I have always thought it had a bit of a negative connotation but seeing as there are some Hozon blades that are thought to be Satsuma-age, perhaps it isn't as negative as I have assumed...

This passage in the text of the example Chris posted describes it well; 薩摩上げ(さつまあげ)」の文字通りに、日本列島を太刀に例えれば最南端の薩摩が切っ先に相当する。 Satsumaage literally corresponds to the analogy of the tip of the sword resembling the southern-most part of the Satsuma archipelago. 切っ先の方を棟側から斜めに切り落とし、刃側を棟の方に打ち曲げて切っ先を作るので帽子は必ず焼詰めとなる。 The boshi is made by cutting from the mune side towards the hamon making a tip where the hamon bends towards the mune. Please forgive my poor attempt to make it sound sensible. John

I suspect that the mune where it is ground down to the hamon would show a demarcation somewhere. I do not know how visible it would be after polishing. The new tip should be hardened throughout as it is made entirely from the old ha. Perhaps some swords would not be a good candidate. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..