The Menuki Orphanage

Guido

Could you expand on the link please? I know I could hit the books or Google, and find it myself. But it's a Sunday, and I am going back to work tomorrow after a nice vacation that was too short, and am feeling miserable...so can I be lazy and ask you to do the work for me? :)

Brian

Thank you kind gentlemen for the insights and links. I have added an image of the other side and from the old shadow left from the missing menuki it appears to have been as all have suggested.

("enlightened" smiley here) Now I am searching for my missing ox.

Very Zen like Stephen.Are we reminiscing of warmer days in the field? :)

Cheers! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

file.php?id=50475

David.N

Almost a match, mine has an added flower motif, but at least it's facing the opposite direction:

IMG_0274_zpsac771650.jpg

Measures 4.0 cm by 1.7 cm. Unusual construction, very thin, I'm thinking perhaps a very low gold alloy, like 9 kt, or perhaps shakudo?

IMG_0275_zps27d32e20.jpg

What do you all think?

Hi Rick. As no one else has stepped in, the lower image is of a late pressing, hence the thin and uniform edge. These were manufactured in some quantity and you find them on swords but also applied to a variety of decorative objects made for the Western market around the turn of the century, sorry that's 19th/20th century. I found a cigarette box once with about twenty of them fastened by thin pins soldered to the back . You also more rarely find genuine menuki, sometimes by master craftsmen, applied to higher status objects.

Probably made of brass which is blackened on the face to resemble shakudo. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

All the best.

Thought someone had addressed these by now. Thanks Geraint.

Yes, they aren't menuki. Sometimes with 2 pins they are used as tobacco pouch ornaments. Or as decoration on furniture.

They aren't junk...just not menuki :)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...