Non functional

RobertM

Hi Robert.

I suppose it depends what you mean by non functional. I think we conceive a sword guard as something to protect the hand and in that case soft metal raises questions though there are many European swords with brass or bronze guards. As I understand it the function of a tsuba is more to locate the hand and prevent the grip slipping onto the blade than to parry a blow from an opponents sword so the strength of the guard becomes much less an issue. Also of course the function of the tsuba is to say something about the owner, the side of the tsuba most readily visible when the sword is worn would be on clear display.

All the best.

Hi Robert.

Not so simple. at least one authority said that a tsuba without a seppa dai was never intended for use..... On many tsuba the design uses the space between seppa dai and mimi but quite often the design does run through the seppa dai, sometimes blanked and sometimes continuous. Any generalisation is subject to argument but I associate this more with kinko tsuba. Often the design runs through the seppa dai in the form of engraving rather than anything else though I have seen one sword where the seppa are sculpted to fit raised designs on the tsuba.

By the by, some tsuba really seem to change when mounted on a sword, tsuba makers who knew their game must have taken this into consideration when designing their work.

All the best.

Nearly all Hirado Kunishige tsuba have the design go onto the seppa dai.

Quite a fair number of smiths routinely wander onto the seppa dai. Nidai Kanshiro often did a bit.

Perfectly functional.

At first glance, that looks like a big name signature unless I am misreading it at this bleary cold early hour in the morning. Ie. possible misread.

Workmanship doesn't quite seem to support the reputation of the name.

I'd be more concerned with the signature, but someone may have gotten quite the steal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..