Cherry and bamboo

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Most of the tsuba you have posted are not in my area of focus or aesthetics in terms of collecting but I had a few quick questions. Were all of these tsuba from your father's collection? If yes then I would say your father put together a wonderful collection and this is coming from someone who doesn't focus on this area. :) I only hope you consider following in your fathers footsteps and also collecting tosogu. :D

Dear David and Henk-Jan,

First of all, let me to apologise to Henk-Jan for having inadvertently adressed him as KM in my precedent post.

Now, David, to answer your first question : yes these tsubas are all from my father's collection and I have yet to buy my first one. We arrive to your second question : I think that I am not yet enough educated to eventually consider purchasing tosogu. I have to learn more about it, to see objects and try to understand what I see, and to determine what I like best. For example, before coming on the forum, I knew nothing about old iron tsubas. I am very grateful for your compliments to my late father, I had not imagined that his small collection would be so well received on the forum.

All the best.

Bernard D

Hi Bernard D.,

I been researching tosogu for over ten years now and have been on NMB since 2008. I started with nihonto in 2001 but haven't done any nihonto research since 2010. In addition to posting photos of your late Father's collection which I feel only reflects a few of the many different Japanese aesthetics. I recommend referencing the extensive collection of links to other website at the top of the NMB webpage. The search function on NMB website I have also founded to be very helpful.

If you find yourself enjoying researching this type of thing I recommend expand your study to include Japanese language, history, and culture. They will allow you to see the different types of tosogu in a wider historical and cultural context. For example I taken some classes in Japanese language to allow me to read Kanji and search using Japanese Google and read Japanese dealers websites. I have also visited Japan many times for long vacations to visit historical sites. :D Here is a interesting Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_aesthetics that discusses all of the different aspects of Japanese aesthetics and its religious, historical, and cultural development. Once you apply this knowledge you will start to notice how different tosogu schools and groups would focus on one or more of these different aesthetic styles.

Dear David,

I am very grateful for your guidance and for taking the trouble to explane your own approach !

Thanks to your sensible advice, I know how to proceed to improve my knowledge on Japanese art and civilisation (a huge task !).

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Bernard D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..