Help on a soft metal tsuba

Bernard

Bernard

There has been a dearth of comments on this tsuba. It is an example of sumi-e zōgan, comprising flat inlay on a polished ground, and resembling ink painting. It is almost certainly late Edo work, but I am unable to assign it to a particular school, as this technique was adopted by a number of schools at this period. Sadly, some of the shakudō inlay is missing, and it is all badly discoloured. It was once a fine tsuba, and I agree with Brian. I would certainly ask Ford Hallam if it is salvageable.

John L.

Bernard

Another very fine tsuba with an iroye of shakudō and gold, depicting a water well (Ido) and vegetation upon a polished copper plate. It is mumei, late Edo work, but I am unable to attribute it to a particular school. Admittedly, it is rather discoloured in the deeper recesses on the omote surface, but this is probably only an accumulation of grot, and will probably clean gently with no problem.

Do any other members have a suggestion as to an attribution?

John L.

First tsuba is appealing.

Personal feeling is that it would be older than we are attributing it. While technique most common in late Edo, the skill on this one seems very fine like truer to a painting.

I have much to learn about ko-umetada kinko, and every time I see a NBTHK papered ko-umetada kinko tsuba with this sort of fine workmanship.... I allow for something similar like this to be much older. Very difficult to date this one.

This is a nice tsuba.

While I cast pebbles at the quality level of the previous Tanaka tsuba, your father had fine taste.

Most everything you have shown us so far has been at a very solidly elevated aesthetic above the vast majority of what people query about.

In other words: batting average very high. Wondering if there isn't a home run or two waiting to be seen.

Second tsuba:

Mito or Nara work.

My first thought was one of the decent 1800s Mito spin off schools, but John might be right on Nara call.

Very hard to pin it down to a specific subschool without some sort of special clue, and nothing leaps out as evident in a quick look.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..