Tsukamaki skill.

Dr Fox

Not wanting to be unkind to others efforts (especially on things I cant do myself) but having viewed several sites, where modern interpretations of the katana have been presented, one thing always seems to jump out.

Although the attention to detail in the blade is addressed as best as can be achieved, I feel the form and wrap of the tsuka just does not get there. I appreciate the skill shown, by Japanese craftsmen in this area. Taking my own swords as examples, the form and grace in the tsuka, the precise size and placement of the diamonds, with the whole unit coming together and just looking right.

As being one of the first points of judgement, when sighting a sword this often shouts not right, and further observations are then coloured by that impression. How many craftsmen do we have, that can achieve this art form, to a comparative Japanese level?

Grey

Many thanks for your link, I would recommend to any with an interest in tsukamaki to read there. It went right to the core of my enquiry, and yes there is a skill level in the West that will stand comparison.

Going to my OP and the answers are: Experience (29yrs plus in this case), specialization in the one subject, and appreciation of the tsuka looking ‘right’.

This is a quote from the first paragraph of David McDonalds homepage.

“But we sometimes forget that it is the hilt wrapper who completes the sword. Tsukamaki is the art of wrapping a silk braid (tsukaito or simply ito) around the hilt of the Japanese sword. And it is this task that completes the creation of the art of the Japanese sword.”

Brian Tschernega is the only one that I know that can stand with the world's best.

Hi Everyone,

I meet Brian at Tampa show this year. He is currently working my Budo teacher's nihonto koshirae. I have few friends that are nihonto and tosogu collectors on the east coast that really like this work. I have personally have no experience with his work but have only heard good things. :)

yes, Brian has done many jobs for me and his tsukamaki is top notch! Even I cannot tell the difference from my best tsukamakishi in Japan, so I have no problem at all using Brian for proper restoration. Highly recommended! I also believe he studied tsukamaki under Okabe san who is a Mukansa Tsukamakishi.

Mike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..