"Munemitsu" mei

Davis

Hi

Thank you all for your replies. This smith would appear to have worked around the late Muromachi period as it is dated to the Eisho era. It appears to me, to have a sugata of fine shape. Nagasa 42.5cm, moto-haba 2.5cm, saki-haba 1.7cm, sori 1.0 cms. Suguha hamon, ko-maru boshi with a short kaeri. Unfortunately, it has been heavily abraided but the lines of the blade are intact and there is still much meat left. I have made a number of attempts to photograph the blade but am unhappy with the results, I will keep on trying.

Mick

Please look into the kanji. Additonaly look on the shadows of the kanji ...

I aggree, it is not easy to judge by photos

And no, not all blades do have clear yasurime. But when one Feature ist "overclean" why the other is not ? Many blades of this period do have clear Yasurime....

Only points to think of.

Not more, not less.

Beeing true : There are exampels, but they are more than Juyo....

I think what stefan is trying to say is that the mei is too crisp in comparison to the yasurimei.. If yasurimei is not crisp, how could the signature still be so sharp? The wear obviously would be somewhat similar.. not completely different. Imo, in the first picture the blade looks repatinated. I agree with stefan (that the mei looks too crisp)..

According to Hawley's, there is only 1 Osafune Munemitsu that signs with a "Kore" at the end of his mei, and his full signature reads "Bizen Kuni Osafune Munemitsu Oite Heianjo Saku Kore." He works in mid-Muromachi (1487) and is a 13-point smith. No smith listed in Hawley in Koto times signed as "Bizen Kuni Ju Osafune Mumemitsu Saku Kore." So, I would also lean towards gimei. The complete Hawley listing of Osafune Munemitsu in Koto times is below:

1324: Bizen Osafune Ju Munemitsu, Student of Osafune Nagamitsu.

1362: Bishu Osafune Munemitsu (2nd generation)

1394: Bishu Osafune Munemitsu (3rd generation)

1429: Bishu Osafune Munemitsu (4th generation)

1469: Bishu Osafune Munemitsu/Bizen Kuni Yueigo Ju Osafune Sakyoshin Munemitsu (5th generation)

1532: Bishu Osafune Munemitsu (6th generation)

1487: Bizen Kuni Osafune Munemitsu Oite Heainjo Saku Kore

1558: Bishu Osafune Sakon Munemitsu

Regards,

Hoanh

I am very interested in seeing some oshigata of 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, and 6th gen Munemitsu, if anybody has any, that would be an excellent addition to this thread.

Nobody ever talks about any other gen aside from the 5th. However, I am most interested in the 1st gen, which there are very few known examples as far as I have found. All I know is there is 1 Juyo example of 1st gen.

Hi Josh

Yes, so would I. I've tried taking more pictures but can't seem to capture the details. This one shows the hamon at the expense of other detail. I bought this sword from a Dutch guy selling from the boot of his car - he had a lot of antique weapons but nothing else Japanese.

Regards

Mick

Hi Josh

Yes, so would I. I've tried taking more pictures but can't seem to capture the details. This one shows the hamon at the expense of other detail. I bought this sword from a Dutch guy selling from the boot of his car - he had a lot of antique weapons but nothing else Japanese.

Regards

Mick

To be honest : I see nearly nothing clear.

O.K. an attempt : A very thin habuchi, suguha and super fine kitae...Lord of Kuwana ?

Greets Stefan

Hoanh

Thank you for your objective comments. The boshi is authentic, not etched on but possibly enhanced. It is, in reality much better than my poor photographic skills allow me to show. The blade has been attacked with a grinding wheel at some stage and this does obscure detail but I feel that it does have a good shape. The Eisho date would suggest that it is 500 years old but I too, do not, think it is as old as this.

Regards

Mick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..