question about sword laws in various countries

Hello, I would like to know what the differences are in sword laws in various countries and especially in the Netherlands, since i have read the weapons law (WWM) as it is called here but it is not at all clear on the owning of swords, let alone on how to import for instance a Nihon-to... so before i even dare to buy one abroad, i would like to know if there are any Dutch collectors on here, and about their and other peoples experiences.

best wishes,

KM

hi km,

i have heard of some rules and stories about owning swrods in taiwan.

anything with a sharp edge over 50cm is considered a weapon and dangerous, therefore prohibited. however, in the antique market there, you can readily find those fake samurai swords from china. how they got in in the first place is another story.

i know of some very rich people who own important historical swords. i guess in this case, affluence is above the law.

another story is that during the 70's, an artists returning from a trip abroad wanted to bring a Japanese word back to taiwan. knowing it will be confiscated at the customs, he brought 2 swords with him declaring that one of them is a gift to the president. the customs officer could not prevent a gift going to the president and allowed both swords in.

yet another story involves a friend bringing in an alloy iai sword. the custom officer assumed it was not sharpened and therefore allowed it to go in. however, it had to be registered with the local police so that the sword would be held in the police station, starting 6 months prior to any election, and returned 6 months after. according to this friend, he has never seen the sword since there are elections of various officials going on nearly every 8 to 9 month.

eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I can not inform you of the laws per se.

However, by importing Nihonto you are considered an Art collector and these are Art Swords or Art Objects.

There must be allowances in their laws for collectors.

I say this due to the fact that I have sold and shipped a number of nihonto to the Netherlands.

In fact I have shipped to most every European country as well as to Taiwan, Korea and China.

Contact the European Branch of the NBTHK, perhaps they can provide specifics on laws.

;) For one of the best places on planet earth to purchase your next Nihonto or Tosogu, go to: http://yakiba.com/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..