Slightly unusual tsuba

Bugyotsuji

Ah, so you've seen one before. I hadn't, but I was happy to pick this one up for next to nothing at an antiques show yesterday. Always useful to have a variety of spare tsuba material for tanto koshirae mix'n match. 8)

Christian, just as I pushed 'submit' your photos above appeared. Very nice example! Thanks. :clap:

I have one in black.

post-419-14196884973762_thumb.jpg

Mine is water buffalo horn.

Don't think yours is buffalo but maybe ivory?

The 'spongy' looking centre is natural and I guess is the new growth area where the dead hair cells 'go' on a living horn/tusk, being that the outer wall and towards the tip is generally fairly solid.

Here's a cross section of an antler I have to show what I mean.

post-419-14196884976624_thumb.jpg

Mine is mounted on a small, Sue Koto shobu Bizen wakizashi, like a hamidashi tsuba.

I don't think the buffalo horn ones are so rare but not seen one in your material unless you count the carved bone tourist tanto you see often.

Lee, I am pretty sure it is stag antler as you say. I have seen many Netsuke made of this material. Often the spongy inner core material is burned out, and the hole can be plugged. The tsuba maker has left a little of the antler outer skin, probably deliberately. (See illustration of edge)

See http://netsuke.websitetoolbox.com/post/ ... stcount=11

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..