Gunto with a Sock ??

jeffery

Hello,

I’m a newbie to the Japanese sword scene.

I’ve been doing heaps of reading and research mostly onlin, but sadly I know that experience counts.

The following photos are from a Gunto, captured in borneo by Australians, but the tsuka-ito tsukamaki is looks like a sock. I can not remember seeing this type of ito .

Was this once a traditional binding ?

The tsuba is also not the usual gunto type.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10377413/

Jeff

Jeff

It was added by a GI , most likly from a Navy vet, forgot the name of the art of tying cord but i have seen it cover the saya as well. Looks like he added something like a tsuba, cant tell from the pix, it does have added gunto seppa. Some Military collectors value the cord work.

Good morning Jeff & Stephen,

Macrame or Marlinspkie Seamanship comes to mind regarding the term for decorative braiding traditionally used by Sailors.

Check out the cover of this book and you will see a similar braid pattern to yours.

http://www.amazon.com/Marlinspike-Sailo ... 0070592187

Cheers

Hi,

I have seen this on both handles and scabbards before, here's a link to ebay which is active at the moment,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-NICE-CUSTO ... 5d40d06cbd

The seller refers to it as a:

"Sword that was customized by U.S. Seaman with cord weaving and knot work during World War II, also known in the Navy as "Whiteline" and "Belfast"."

i hope this helps. perhaps some other members who know for sure can help out more

Here's a photo of a type 95 NCO with what was claimed to be in an 'as found' condition, indicating the Japanese soldier did the binding, it's not as elaborate as the other binding, but still interesting.

Regards

Ernst

post-3094-14196884230925_thumb.jpg

Having spent the last 11 years instructing Sea Cadets, I have been n contact with a lot of exhibition knot displays. This hilt binding did not sit right, in this context, but I had seen this pattern before.

I submit that a navy man did not do this, or its even wartime work, this I believe has been done by a weaver, the style here is comparative with the ‘one over, one under’ teaching style of basketwork. The top braiding is not a turks head knot, but the top weave of basket rim finish.

I offer these illustrations for comment.

Denis.

post-3310-14196884648828_thumb.png

post-3310-14196884660998_thumb.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..