Looks genuine ?

Dear Roy,

It would appear to be genuine. It is my assumption on viewing the first top right hand photo that the stock material may well be ivory. NOTE the grain in the material, ... certainly not bone, and YES ivory can tone to a yellowish colour. Sometimes ivory is also stained, and although this piece seems to be very yellow, ... it is not unheard of .... or possibly due to your lighting when photographing ?? This can easily be tested by the application of the tip of a red hot needle to an area of the inside of the stock ( the bed ) to see if it penetrates, or just leaves a tiny black mark. If the needle penetrates then its bakelite, if not then its ivory. Given the fact I am almost positive the stock is of ivory, and the overall quality and detail of the work, .... I am 99 44/100 % sure it is genuine. There are Chinese copies out there BUT none are of this quality.

It appears to be a winner, ... value is always subjective, but I would suggest current auction value to be between $ 1500.00 and $ 2000.00 US perhaps a bit higher.

... Ron Watson

Someone just showed me that this is currently for sale on Yahoo Japan, so someone is hoping to buy it there and make a profit? :freak:

Are they using you to try get an idea on what they can make in profit, Roy?

I'll leave the posting of the link to someone else.

Nice item...but I don't see $1000 value there. It's currently half that.

Brian

Dear All,

Firstly since most of you are strictly Nihonto, Kodogu collectors, ... there is a whole other world out there of Japanese Art collectors. Here is a definition site for Netsuke Collectors : http://www.janeljacobson.com/netsukedescrip.html Although most netsuke are small sculptures of people, Gods, animals, ... there are also other types of Netsuke such as miniature ashtrays, abumi, tools, and matchlocks ( rare ).

The ones you will normally see on eBay are Chinese or Japanese copies or just plain forgeries. The real ones are of a high quality ( such as the one pictured by Lindus ) and do work mechanically. Very few however have a touchhole entering fully into the barrel, and thus cannot be fired ... although there are exceptions.

To answer Brian, .... I would refer him as an example to Bonhams Auction of Fine Japanese Works of Art, ... September 13, 2011, ... lot 2019 ... Japanese Netsuke in the form of a Matchlock Pistol .... SOLD ... $ 1625.00. In my opinion, this example that Lindus pictures is at least as good as the one sold at that time. They rarely come up for sale, ... and consequently fetch a good price. In fact the only other example I could find via an exhaustive search was an example sold in 1997 for $ 2300.00 US.

... Ron Watson

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d146305432

It is nice. If it works...wonder if it needs a torokusho? :lol:

Brian

PS - It irritates the #$%& out of me that Yahoo is so set on not allowing Westerners to bid, that they actually run scripts to prevent translator software from translating auction pages. :bang: :steamed:

Irritating to have to copy and paste text instead of just translating the page.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..