Kake Most impressed!

Guys

Spotted this and quite taken with this as a display stand. Anyone seen this item before? Is it as good as it looks? post costs are a trifle heavy, but thats because the item itself would be a good weight, to support the two swords it is designed for. Does it justify its price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281193686623? ... 1438.l2649

regards Denis.

Simon

Thanks for your prompt reply, but puzzled at the info you provided! As I don't have a translator, your link could not help. Can you, or anyone please give me a better insight into your helpful comments.

Regards

Denis.

What he means is that this is (almost) fraud - it's a gray area actually.

This seller (and a few others) take stuff that someones ellse offers on Yahoo Auctions in Japan and put it on eBay. Usually for 5 times or more the price on Yahoo. I've seen things that were on YA von 300 Euro offered for 2500 Euro on eBay or more. (There was this one crappy Gunto, falling apart just from looking at it and rusted beyond saving on YA for 100 Euro and the seller offered it as "museum quality" for 2100!!!)

The seller doesn't own the item! If you buy it from them, they bid on it on Yahoo cheap and make a huge profit re-selling it to you. If they don't win or your bids are too low for their tastes, they'll say something like "The item is not available anymore" or "it was damaged"

Stay away from these offers!!!

If you really want the item, find someone who can act as a trustworthy go-between for you and YA, just ask around on this board. It's a lot cheaper and faster.

Well gentlemen, that is another eye opener, I did not see the wood for the trees. Simon where was the clue that got you on this so quick? I have seen the other site where bidding has started, and there is no comparison in the prices.

If I were a serious shopper for this item, I could have been taken for a fool in this instance. Never too old to learn.

With my thanks Denis.

Hi Denis,

On eBay, the thing that usually triggers an alarm for me is extremely high price tag with no proof of authentication and very little descriptions. No history, no lineage, no artist or location of origin. Sometimes just measurements of the item. I think whoever treasures the antique item they are selling should know a lot about it, would like to pass on that info to the next owner. Of course papered items can also take you for a ride. But usually, they are listed at even higher prices. Which will force you to do some homework to see what's the real value. Another trick is to see what other items that the seller have for sale. Usually these sellers have a lot of auctions going on at the same time. Most of them are "Buy It Now" with "Best Offers" because they are afraid of starting the auction with a low bid and risking eating dirt on other auction sites. After looking at the items for sale by the seller, you should generally get a feel that things are way too overpriced and something is off. Oh also, if you do see an actual auction style listing for that seller that starts at a low bid and bids have been placed, 99% chance the bidders are privately listed where you can't see their user id. Stay away from these too. The seller is boosting.

As for stuff on Yahoo Japan Auctions, you can actually use a logistic/intermediate company to help you with a purchase for a charge. Since I'm not nearly confident in my knowledge in nihonto and Japanese, I tend not to spend too much time there. But from what I've seen, items with proper certificates/appraisals sells pretty much close to what it would go for on eBay. So, no deal plus you have to pay intermediate company's charges. I guess, if you are an expert, you can find some treasures that are cheaper priced and from honest individuals. But for me it's mostly window shopping.

That's my 2cents :)

-James

One easy way to tell:

Take a look at the other items for sale. A dealer or private owner will have an area that he takes photos in. You should see a similar background or technique.

If you are looking at 10 different styles, 10 backgrounds and totally different photo techniques, then obviously the items are not owned by that person, and the photos come from different sources. That is an indicator to look closer at what he is selling and be wary.

Then run a pic or 2 through http://tineye.com/ and see if the pics are listed elsewhere.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..