New guy looking for feedback on sword

ownaSadayoshi

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a sword made by Sadayoshi and I was hoping for some feedback from the many experts on this site. I am not totally new (just new to the site) as you can see by my sword choice selection, but I am hoping for some information on what you guys see. I plan to take it for appraisal next February, so I am hoping I made a good buy. I appreciate any thoughts or comments, and thanks to all....

post-4792-14196882593723_thumb.jpg

post-4792-1419688260021_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882610118_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882619103_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882626216_thumb.jpg

Sorry I didn't put a name or initial to my post... John

Some of the information I was hoping to receive are:

I noticed the Mei says Sadayoshi, this made by, but normally his works are signed Gassan Sadayoshi. I'm wondering if this was early work while studying under Masahide, or if you all think this was done by a student under his supervision once he started the Dewa Gassan School? I think from my somewhat slim knowledge that this is definitely Gassan work from the ayasugi in the hamon. It seems that this type of activity in the hamon and the boshi would make it an authentic Gassan work, but I am just basing that on my limited knowledge. The blade is extremely thick, thicker than most katana's I had seen. Overall I am happy with the purchase ($3,800), and I am hoping that I made a great purchase. I greatly appreciate any information or feedback. Thanks John H....

....I think.....that this is definitely Gassan work from the ayasugi in the hamon.....The blade is extremely thick, thicker than most Katana I had seen.....

John,

congrats for the purchase! It looks quite impressive and healthy, but I do not see AYASUGI HADA (not 'AYASUGI HAMON') clearly enough to vote for GASSAN. Perhaps with better photos it would be more convincing.

How did you determine it has had many polishes? Also, the term ayasugi refers to seeing the grain hada in the hamon accented. The photos you guys attached have whirling grain and such the ayasugi is whirling in the hamon. My sword has more of a straight grain to the ha, and I see that in several areas. I have attached some additional pics for your review. So do you think this is Sadayoshi's work as identified by the signature or what?

Thanks to all. John...

post-4792-14196882650826_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882660117_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882669136_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882678175_thumb.jpg

post-4792-14196882687067_thumb.jpg

Ok I stand corrected.

I am not used to seeing this type of hada in Japanese swords.

Did not look at the nakago mune that closely either.

I do see what I believe is called ashi in the hamon, and I like that.

The sword is not ugly if that is what you thought I meant.

Gomen.

Back to the books. I really should enlarge those Nagayama drawings.

KM

What everyone is saying is that this sword does not display ayasugi hada (which is a gassan school trademark) and therefore the mei is now suspect. The sword does not look over polished. Is it a nice sword? ..well yeah sure. Is the signature legit? Probably not. Did you score big time? Not so much. For 4k- many good swords can be had. Don't waste money on shinsa until you do more research on the blade itself (not the signature) and if you decide to have the sword judged- get the signature removed before hand. ****IMHO****

I wouldn't call this ayasugi hada, which is the Gassan trademark. However, not all Gassan blades are done in ayasugi so you can't call this blade gimei simply because it does not have ayasugi hada. Gassan Sadayoshi made a lot of swords, and many I have seen were the longer type similar to this one (kinno-to) popular in shinshinto. Gassan school is also known for their ability to make swords in many styles which further complicates things.

That said, the signature looks suspect to me so perhaps shinsa isn't a bad idea if you want a hands on, learned opinion, rather than conclusions reached from photos which are never as reliable even if they come from experts.

DISCLAIMER: I am sponsoring a shinsa next year so take my advice as biased and self serving if you wish.

Most Gassan works have a nakago that show a very high level of skill and attention to detail.

The mei shows that same attention to detail and is very artistic, like very good calligraphy.

Your sword doesn't show that to me.

You generally shouldn't judge a sword on its mei, but Gassan works are somewhat of an exception to that, at least to my mind anyway.

A good example - http://www.nihonto.ca/gassan-sadayoshi/

I agree with you Chris in regards to the hada. I provided an example where the hada is not as "triangular" and looks to be more masame. I am concerned overall with the chiseling "quality" of the mei though. If this sword was brought to an American NTHK-NPO panel, the cost would be manageable, and it would be worth an educated look before any removal on signature was considered.

EDIT: I second that, Lee Bray..

Seeing it comes from a knowledgeable seller, do you really think he would sell it at that price if it stood a good chance of being Gassan Sadayoshi ??? ;)

Prove me wrong with a shinsa and I'll be first to congratulate you and admit my sceptiscism was wrong! However chances are against you...

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I already sent Chris my check for a reservation ticket for shinsa to look at it. If it turns out that it is work from another Sadayoshi, I will be happy with that too. My thinking was that perhaps it was a Gassan school katana, perhaps made by a student under Sadayoshi's supervision. I don't see it out of the realm of possibility that it was made at the Gassan school. Length of the sword, 2 menki, age of the nakago, boshi turn up and kissaki seem like Gassan style. I'm sure that school made alot of swords over the years, and who knows what is possible. I will keep my fingers crossed, but I am happy with my purchase. Thanks everyone.... John

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Gassan Sadayoshi used three kinds of hada, a ko itame in muji style, a masame hada and the famous ayasugi hada.

that sword would be the first by Sadayoshi bearing a mei without Gassan?

The style of engraving is not the one used by Gassan Sadayoshi and successors.

Yasurime are not the ones used by Gassan Sadayoshi and successors.

Interesting decision. I don't actually think this was a gimei blade, just not Gassan Sadayoshi. I know most people offer a return policy, but if I would buy something and without doing the research make some false assumptions, I view it as I am stuck with it. I have bought a couple swords from Eric over the years and he's a good guy. Usually, the second time a sword hits an auction, it fetches less (sometimes far less) than the original price. So because "ownaSadayoshi" (I guess you need to change your name now huh?) guessed wrong, he's going to cost a decent guy some money. Anyway, I know some people do this and it's within their right on a return policy, but I wouldn't do it since it's my fault, not the seller. Oh well, what the hell do I know anyway? :dunno:

think this blade was cleand up a bit for Eric, and some deluted acid was part of the process.

I was waiting for someone else to note this Stephen. This looks like a heavier application than my recent blade purchase. Of course, I asked for the advice before I made the purchase. ;)

A very thick blade however. I'm sure it still has a reasonable value provided it's not Gimei and doesn't have any serious kizu not shown in pics.

Does anyone think it would have passed Shinsa? It would be interesting if members of the board posted pics of their blades prior to submission to see how people judge them right or wrong. I know...pictures are nothing like judgement in hand, but still would be interesting for those "boarderline" blades.

Thoughts on a Friday....

Ben M.

This is what an inspection period is for, to research, check it out in your own hands and eyes and seek out opinions.

I agree that this is not Gassan Sadayoshi. Mine has been linked a couple of times (just a note that mine seems to be daimei by Sadakazu).

I'll echo what's said above, the blade wasn't/isn't ayasugi but also that's not conclusive as in the Gassan school you can encounter pretty much anything.

I think that the general points were made about the signature and nakago finish. I think also the skill displayed in the kitae was below what should be expected for Gassan school.

So the question then on "maybe it was a student..." ... if your student made an inferior work below the grade that you have come to expect for the school you founded / restored to prominence, would you be letting him sign your name to it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..