Interesting Tsuba / Mon

bmlusk1911

I purchased a shin-gunto at the 2012 Tampa Show, and the tsuba interested me. There is matching numbers (I think) scratched onto all four seppa as well as the tsuba. What I find is most interesting is the apparent name of the officer engraved in the edge of the tsuba.

post-2611-14196882550966_thumb.jpg

post-2611-14196882571249_thumb.jpg

The Mon:

post-2611-14196882563405_thumb.jpg

(Pictures of the blade can be found here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17084 for those who are interested.)

Hi Brock

Just an observation, ( quote ) you think all the numbers match on your fittings, but why is the Fuchi on your Tsuka obviously much smaller than Koiguchi on the saya, I would of expected a closer match with the dimensions of these two fittings ! if they were all on suite ?

just my quick impressions, obviously could be way of the mark.

regards,

Ray

Hi Brock

Just an observation, ( quote ) you think all the numbers match on your fittings, but why is the Fuchi on your Tsuka obviously much smaller than Koiguchi on the saya, I would of expected a closer match with the dimensions of these two fittings ! if they were all on suite ?

just my quick impressions, obviously could be way of the mark.

regards,

Ray

I meant what I thought were numbers scratched into the Seppa and Tsuba matched. But, turns out that's Sakamoto scratched into them......

Thanks for the translation, everyone. Saves me a couple days with kanji tables.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..